Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many 'must-buy authors from the Big 6 do you have?
Less than five---I follow a few big names but can take or leave the rest 41 44.09%
5-10- I like certain big name authors 21 22.58%
0- I only read indie books or library books 16 17.20%
Other 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How many 'must-buy' authors do you have from Big 6 publishers?

I wrote an article for this on Teleread and am curious to get more opinions. I think the Harper Collins boycott and the pricing/geo-restrictions/etc. might have more impact on the Big 6 than they realize because I think most readers have a few 'name' authors they follow, and aside from those, don't care much about the others. They'll round out their reading of those favourites with library books, used book store finds, borrowing from spouses or family, magazines, reading for school or work etc.

I know that for me, I have maybe two authors from Big Pub whose work I will buy, sight unseen, and be willing to pay a little more for. The rest of my books are just 'whatever looks interesting among the other books I have.' If something looks interesting but is priced too high or is unavailable, there are plenty of other books in the category of 'not too invested per se, but if I happen to get my hands on it, it looks fun.' So that means that out of 100 books I might read, 98 of them will not be big pub purchases, necessarily, but will be library books, impulse purchases which were cheap, Smashwords books or borrowing from my sister.

So, other readers out there, how many 'must-buy' authors do you have from the Big 6? And what percentage of your reading do those purchases represent?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini

In recent years, probably 0.1 %
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
And one from one editor, now that I think of it. But I get that paperback, and the ebook is georestricted anyway, so format shifting, there.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Zero. I will not buy DRM-locked ebooks, any more than I'd buy pbooks I could only read in my living room.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
My 'must-buy' authors from the BPH's disappeared a year ago.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Really the only one that I must buy is Nora Roberts for my Mom. When she puts a book out, I get it to my Mom's Kindle as soon as possible. It makes Mom really happy to have those books when she wakes up on release day and I'll keep paying to get them to her.

Others, like Nalini Singh coming up which I suspect they'll price at $14.99, I'll find a way to read the book but I'll read it at my price point. I'll group buy with friends or get it from the library or something.

Otherwise, I pretty much read what makes me happy. And if seeing your name or your Publishers name leaves me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over your attacks on libraries or anything else - then I don't buy your product.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Other

As Blue Tyson said, it's a VERY insignificant number of books.

I'm not really boycotting the big publishers or DRM, I simply don't want to pay those prices.

I also like independent authors. Sure some books turn out to be duds, but that happens with books from major publishers too.

What gets me is that they (the big publishers) are shooting themselves in the foot with their shenanigans. If I see a new book today for $15 - $25 I'll wait for the price to come down. But by the time that happens I'll probably have forgotten about it.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
None, if they are a big name author the book will come to the library. $30 plus is too much to pay for a paperback novel that I'll only read once.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
As I noted on Teleread, my must-buy authors are few and the must-buy means I must buy their hardcover when released. Until the advent of agency pricing, I would buy both the hardcover and the ebook versions of new releases of these must-buy authors; now I just buy the hardcover.

And even with that, the Agency 6 are losing out because I used to buy a lot of Agency 6 books -- hardcover and ebook -- that were not must-buy books. I've simply stopped buying their fiction books except for the very few must-buys. In fact, I just loaded up with ebooks from Smashwords -- I bought nearly 100 ebooks in the past few days from Smashwords (their servers really need upgrading desperately), so I won't need to buy any Agency 6 ebook or hardcover fiction for months, if ever.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
In my buying life, there have been very few "must-haves". Last year was exceptional, with 2 books. This year, I have one book on my list (end of the month). I will buy it, no matter the publisher (I believe it's Random House, but not sure). But after this book has been added to my library, I can't think of another book I must have at all cost...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have almost no "auto-buy" authors anymore. BUT, the books I like seem to published by the big publishers. Things like: Cutting for Stone, Water for Elephants (actually her new book is *terrible*), The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. What would you call that, literary fiction meets popular fiction? I'm sure some would say it's one and some would say it's the other. But to me, all of those books had great writing AND a great story. I am still under the impression that for this kind of "mainstream but good" writing, these kinds of authors are getting published by the big publishers. I'm sure there is good writing from the indies, but it seems so hard to sort the wheat from the chaff? And it seems like a lot of the indie books are more in niche genres like sci-fi?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I'm buying, and reading, much more than ever because of the lower prices. In total, I would say that I'm spending more money than before too.

It makes me wonder how much better off they'd be if their prices were lower.

Sell 10,000 ebooks at $14 each = $140,000
Sell 20,000 ebooks at $10 each = $200,000

Last edited by SameOldStory; 03-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
I'm buying, and reading, much more than ever because of the lower prices. In total, I would say that I'm spending more money than before too.

It makes me wonder how much better off they'd be if their prices were lower.

Sell 10,000 ebooks at $14 each = $140,000
Sell 20,000 ebooks at $10 each = $200,000
Doesn't that depend how much profit they're making per book? If the book is costing them $11, then:

Sell 10,000 ebooks at $14 each = $30,000 profit
Sell 20,000 ebooks at $10 each = $20,000 loss

I'm not suggesting that it does cost $11, of course, but there's more to it than you suggest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I voted other. I have quite a few I buy. And for the most part they are cheaper than if I bought the paperback or hard cover. BUT I have become more selective of the hard cover authors. I tend to wait for paperback prices in e-books now.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
None. I judge each and every book by its own content.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote