Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #106
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by paww View Post
In the process of downloading the java stuff to give this market hack a go, you said you were looking for a way to 'improve' this? What's wrong with it?

I'm asking from the position of; if its working correctly and worth me pursuing this?
Well, I got it to work with this method a couple of times after a complete reset to defaults + firmware reflash.

Do not push the package.xml, only build.prop is needed!

For other devices there is a much more elegant solution that does not require an androidId. They use a hacked frameworks.jar. Unfortunately I did not manage to find out what exactly was done to the the file. Diff -Nur was no help in this case, there were changes all over the place which were probably a result of decompiling and compiling the file.
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #107
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Coredump-EE,

I still have not been able to duplicate your sucess.

After signing into YouTube, gtalk crashed. After a reboot, YouTube also crashed.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #108
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
Coredump-EE,

I still have not been able to duplicate your sucess.

After signing into YouTube, gtalk crashed. After a reboot, YouTube also crashed.
I've seen the crashing gtalk one time as well. No idea what caused it. Did you start with a clean system and fresh firmware?
The eventually crashing youtube is sort of standard. Reinstalling fixes the FC.

FWIW: This is the process I'm using.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #109
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post

The biggest problem so far was getting root to work for the applications. The provided su always began crashing after the initial setup.
Have you solved that ? I got access to the market allright, but then no working su anymore, nor Launcher pro, nor ADW Launcher, nor Kindle, and so on......so I had to flash back.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #110
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Have you solved that ? I got access to the market allright, but then no working su anymore, nor Launcher pro, nor ADW Launcher, nor Kindle, and so on......so I had to flash back.
That was probably my fault. The old instructions told you to update packages.xml. That was wrong and nuked your system

I'll post the complete process that I have used shortly. With all files required attached.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #111
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

This is the process I've been using successfully.

Overview:
  1. Gain root access
  2. Install Google apps
  3. Add an existing Google account
  4. Enable Market
  5. Enable "su"

Step 1 (Gain root access)
  • Install LaucherPro
  • Install z4root.1.3.0.apk
  • Press the Home key to start Launcher Pro, then longpress the homescreen to create a shortcut:
    Shortcuts->Activities->Settings->Development (com.android.settings.DevelopmentSettings)
  • Launch the newly created Development shortcut and check USB debugging
  • Launch z4root and install "permanent root". This installs busybox
    on your system and is required after every firmware reflash.

Step 2 (Install Google apps)
  1. Download and extract IQ_gapps.
  2. adb remount
  3. adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system
  4. adb push IQ_gapps /system
  5. adb shell chmod 777 /system/build.prop /system/app/* /system/lib/* /system/framework/* /system/etc/permissions/*
  6. adb shell chown system.system /system/build.prop /system/app/* /system/lib/* /system/framework/* /system/etc/permissions/*
  7. adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
  8. adb shell reboot

Step 3 (Add an existing Google account)
  • Install signed_YouTube.apk
  • Run Youtube, open the menu and select "My Channel". Add your Account.
  • Enable Sync for the account and wait until gmail shows your messages.

Step 4 (Enable Market)
  • Install build.prop from IQ_data.zip
  • Insert a valid androidId (see IQ_data Readme.txt)
  • Reboot, then try to open Market

Step 5 (Enable "su")
  • Get busybox.conf and passwd from IQ_data.zip
  • adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system
  • adb push settings/passwd /system/etc
  • adb push settings/busybox.conf /system/etc
  • adb shell mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/su.orig
  • adb shell ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/su
  • adb shell rm /system/bin/su
  • adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/busybox

Notes:

If after the setup Youtube begins to FC, reinstalling the app will fix the problem.

Last edited by Coredump-EE; 01-04-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added links to LauncherPro and z4root.1.3.0.apk
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #112
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Hi, Coredump-EE.

I've followed as you directed above but still been failing in enabling Market on my IQ.
My problem comes from Step 4, especially, installing build.prop.
The readme.txt lists some codes but I cannot implement the command 'sed' on my PC. My android sdk for windows doesn't contain such file as sed.exe. The folder, platform-tools or tools, either of them does not contain it.

Could you explain the 'sed' part more concretely for me?

Last edited by katzki; 01-03-2011 at 08:54 AM.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #113
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
Hi, Coredump-EE.

I've followed as you directed above but still been failing in enabling Market on my IQ.
My problem comes from Step 4, especially, installing build.prop.
The readme.txt lists come codes but I cannot implement the command 'sed' on my PC. My android sdk for windows doesn't contain such file as sed.exe. The folder, platform-tools or tools, either of them does not contain it.

Could you explain the 'sed' part more concretely for me?
A modified build.prop is inside IQ_data.zip, ready to be pushed over.
I should have mentioned that in the Readme, yeah. I'll update the .zip.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #114
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
A modified build.prop is inside IQ_data.zip, ready to be pushed over.
I should have mentioned that in the Readme, yeah. I'll update the .zip.
Thanks,
You mean I just need to push the build.prop file into the system folder.

Now, another problem I've been facing is the "adb shell ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/su".
It only results in "link failed File exists"...
What do you think is the problem here?

TIA

EDIT.

The line still shows 'failed' but Market successfully works on my IQ.
I really appreciate your help

Last edited by katzki; 01-03-2011 at 10:34 AM.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #115
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
Thanks,
You mean I just need to push the build.prop file into the system folder.

Now, another problem I've been facing is the "adb shell ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/su".
It only results in "link failed File exists"...
What do you think is the problem here?
Code:
adb shell mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/su.orig
adb shell ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/su
adb shell rm /system/bin/su # (an error here can beignored)
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/busybox
The second command failing means in your case that the previous command (which moves the non-working "su" out of the way) did not work, for whatever reason. Make sure you use paste and copy to enter the commands. In any case, these steps are only needed for apps that require root (like, for example, Titanium Backup), Market is not affected by this.

Quote:
The line still shows 'failed' but Market successfully works on my IQ.
I really appreciate your help
You are welcome
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #116
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
What can I say... apart from:

BRAVO !!! It works !!!

K for you guys !

Edited to say: and Kindle works too, as does Titanium Backup !!!

Last edited by aceflor; 01-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #117
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
What a great New Year gift !!!

Also thanks to all who were involved in this thread.

This is what make this forum great.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #118
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've spread some karma on the people who've contributed. Thanks a tad!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #119
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
I am glad to see someone could explain t better than I could :-)

Now, we can wait for Froyo... hopelly soon!
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #120
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
I am glad to see someone could explain t better than I could :-)

Now, we can wait for Froyo... hopelly soon!
Well, I hope if there ever is going to be another firmware, that it's less shoddy than the current one. I mean with working contacts and calendar sync and with a lot of setting options re-enabled. I don't hold my breath...

Case in point, I'm going to try my luck at a custom apps2sd implementation. Right now I'm looking for an OS hook to run my script on boot. I'd really like to avoid using a modded ramdisk.