Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
klark
klark began at the beginning.

Split up a very large ebook (6000+ pages)

Hi there,

I've created an E-Book in the ePub format and basically everything is working fine. But here is the problem:

The book has over 6000 pages. So although I split up all chapters into separate files it takes forever to load, search, flip a page, etc. The scrollbar is of course useless too, since it is tiny.

So here is my question:
Is there a way to split up the book in a way so that only the pages for the active chapter are loaded/shown? Right now the book is opened as a whole with all 6000 pages which makes it practically useless.

If you need any additional infos please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
klark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's up to the software how to handle this efficiently, but most just load the entire book because a) books usually are not that long so it's not a problem and b) the entire book has to be loaded once so page numbers can be calculated so "jump to page x" will work.

To my knowledge there is no way to split up epub contents further, so for example there is no "box set" option to put an entire trilogy into a single epub file. Of course you can do it anyway but the entire trilogy will then be treated as single book.

So you'd have to split your book in parts and make separate epub files for them.

The only other option I can think of is to optimize the HTML source - if the text is exported from Word/OpenOffice it tends to be way overstyled, and you can reduce both size and complexity of the document by removing unnecessary HTML/CSS elements. But it takes a lot of work to do that and it will not have that much of an impact.

If you want to give this a try, convert your book to plain text and then back to epub and see if it is any faster than before...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert