Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Can you sideload a book on a Kindle?

I apologize for asking so many questions. I offer free eBooks on my website, but I don't own a Kindle, so I need other people to help me with the Kindle-specific details to make sure I'm doing things right.

When I first set-up eBooks for people to download on my site, I had heard that the only way to send an eBook to a Kindle was to have it emailed to your amazon account (yourname@amazon.com). So, I set-up a script on my site to do that. I presume it's working, because nobody's complained, but I can't be sure.

However, I've since added versions for Nook as well, and with the Nook, you can either browse the web on your Nook and click on the file URL, or you can download the file to your PC and sideload it using a cable. My question is, can the Kindle receive content by either of those two methods? I want to make things as simple as possible for my readers. If the Kindle can get the files directly the way the Nook can, then I can ditch the email script and just provide a link to the file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Sure you can. Via USB, drag and drop the ebook file into the documents folder of the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
...I had heard that the only way to send an eBook to a Kindle was to have it emailed to your amazon account (yourname@amazon.com). So, I set-up a script on my site to do that. I presume it's working, because nobody's complained, but I can't be sure...
If you don't provide information for the user that informs them of the email address from which the ebook will be sent this will not work. They have to give your site permission to send the book.

There are three ways do load a book on a Kindle:
  1. Download to a PC (Mac/Win/Linux/...) and copy to the /Documents folder on the device via USB.
  2. Email to the user's Kindle account name@kindle.com and/or name@free.kindle.com.
  3. Download directly using the Kindle's web browser.

The first is the easiest to setup on a website. It's a simple download.

The second requires that the Kindle owner add the sending address (read: your site's sending address) to the list of allowed addresses in their Amazon/Kindle account via Manage Your Kindle. If this is not done in advance, the email will be blocked at Amazon's server and the user will not receive the book.

The third requires that the website's server's mimetypes be properly set. If so the Kindle will download directly to its proper Documents folder.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why would you remove an extra nice service that you have given to Kindle owners?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Yeah. You can side load. Just makes sure there's no DRM to keep it from being read.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why would you remove an extra nice service that you have given to Kindle owners?
You're right. I shouldn't remove it. I should keep it and offer the other methods mentioned above in addition.

Thank-you for all your help, everybody. I appreciate it.
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You probably should provide two formats of the book free books, one in epub format one in mobi format. I would recommend that you:

1) take the book in what ever word processor you are using and save it to MS Word format (all major word processors can do that);
2) Download and install calibre-ebook.com (its free)
3) Using the calibre software you downloaded translate the book to mobi format (for kindle users) and to epub format (for everyone else).

Total time thsi should take you is probably five minutes.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
jensor
jensor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There are so many folders on the kindle so where would you put a mobi file book?
jensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensor View Post
There are so many folders on the kindle so where would you put a mobi file book?
In the "documents" folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote