Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Converting certain punctuations from text to epub

I have some texts that I'd like to convert to epub. These text files contain strange punctuations, such as “ , ” , as well as ’ .

A snippet of an original text looks something like this:

Code:
His companion smiled a rugged smile of warm cynicism. “You can’t believe? Me neither, man. Me neither.”
But when I converted the text to epub, the punctuations were replaced by question marks in the calibre viewer as well as my ebook reader (the first pic attached). If I selected "transliterate unicode characters to ascii" option, these punctuations disappeared completely (as in the second pic).

Is there a solution to this weird problem that I have, besides converting every “,” and ’ into the normal " and '?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	52407   Click image for larger version

Name:	text2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	52408  
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
A big thank-you!! "cp1252" solves the problem completely.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote