Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Changed your reading habits?

Has having a ereader changed your reading habits?

In the past year or so, since I got my eb 1150 I have pretty much switched entirely over to reading ebooks. I used to visit my used bookstore all the time, but now I just download a new book. If its not available in ebook format? I don't buy it.

I recently went to my used bookstore here, I took in a ton of books, and came out with about 20, which have been sitting in their basket since they got home, instead of being read.

Why? They are not on my ereader.

I would say that having my ereader did change my reading habits significantly.

Amy

ps. not sure if this is the right forum for this type of topic. :-)
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Same here, and I also read a lot more in English than I used to. It's probably going to take a very long while until I will be able to get Danish e-books I could be interested in reading.

PS: I would have chosen this forum for this topic, too.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
It's probably going to take a very long while until I will be able to get Danish e-books I could be interested in reading.
Why don't you produce yours, then?
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
In the past year or so, since I got my eb 1150 I have pretty much switched entirely over to reading ebooks.
Same here : I -still- have to finish the paper books I was reading when I bought my CyBook (& reading on it did delay this) but I feel much more confortable now with it...

Last edited by YGG-; 02-13-2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Same here; apart from technical books the only print book I've read since I got my Cybook several month ago was one my wife bought me for my birthday.

Having an ebook reader has changed my reading habits in other ways also in that I've explored authors I would never have read in print; some I liked and some I know I'll never read again.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:

In the past year or so, since I got my eb 1150 I have pretty much switched entirely over to reading ebooks. I used to visit my used bookstore all the time, but now I just download a new book. If its not available in ebook format? I don't buy it.
Why don't you buy it? What if it's in LIT or PRC and you can strip the DRM and reformat?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Why don't you produce yours, then?
Very funny

Unless you meant writing them myself, scanning, OCR-ing and proofreading is just too much of an effort compared to just reading a p-book.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I read a heck of a lot more than I did before, just out of convenience.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Since I got my Kindle, I've switched to ebooks. I too have some paperbacks left over, they'll probably end up donated to the library unread. If a book is not an ebook form, I don't buy it.

Just like with paperbacks, I do have price limits. Before I waited for the paperback edition/price, now I wait for the ebook version with paperback prices. I'll pay a premium for a favorite author only out in hardback, but nothing over $9.99.

I don't understand some publishers. I like the Stephanie Plum series. And if they had released a $9.99 version at the same time as the hardcover, I would have bought it. They've finally released an ebook version for $15. Why should I pay $15 when I can get a used copy for $2.44?

So in some ways, ebooks have changed my reading habits in that I'm giving up old favorites and finding new ones. I think someday we may see more authors self-publishing and cutting out publishers altogether.

Diane
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I received my Sony at the end of February last year and didn't start using it until early the following month (as I was reading a paper book and wanted to finish). Once I started using my Reader I haven't picked up another paper book in 11 months.

I read a book a week on my Sony versus a book a month when reading paper books (mostly because I can take my reader everywhere). I don't necessarily look at what authors/titles are available but what ebooks are available. The best thing for me was the discovery that I can borrow ebooks from the library.

Most of the old paperbacks and hardcovers I had sitting around went to the used book store and in return I got a crisp $50 bill.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Having an ebook reader has changed my reading habits in other ways also in that I've explored authors I would never have read in print;
Quote:
I read a heck of a lot more than I did before, just out of convenience.
I am finding authors and stories I never would have found,
had I not been looking for ebooks for my reader.

Having the convenience of a portable reading device,
I can now hang out in the living room with hubby and
have a choice of reading material at hand.

For various reasons, going to the local public library
has not been convenient for me. Being able to find
hordes of reading material online (in subjects that
interest me), I am now reading more!

and because of the convenience, I am willing to
explore subjects or titles that may not necessarily
be something I would normally choose.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I read almost exclusively on my Kindle. I continue to buy anything that Terry Pratchett writes in paper, but buy and read on the kindle. I thought I would do the same with Harry Turtledove, but have just been getting the e-books.

Plus, I've started reading the classics again, such as the Jack London Pile that RWood has uploaded this week...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I used to haunt bookshops, looking for new items coming in.

I have bought very few paperbooks for the past six years, ever since I started reading eBook, first on a Sony Clie, later on my phone, and now on my CyBook Gen3.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I used to haunt bookshops, looking for new items coming in.
Now... you haunt the Internet. Looking for new... items... coming in.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Why don't you buy it? What if it's in LIT or PRC and you can strip the DRM and reformat?

Oh its not DRM that I have trouble with. Its the books that are not realeased in ebook format at all, I don't bother to go and pick them up in pback or hardcover. I just get another book that is already an ebook.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote