Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: What font size do you use to read?
1 (smallest) 3 5.36%
2 5 8.93%
3 12 21.43%
4 19 33.93%
5 9 16.07%
6 8 14.29%
7 0 0%
8 (largest) 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What font size do you guys use?

I'm just curious. With every review or picture of a kindle, I mostly see people using maybe the 5th or 6th font size (middle ones). I've always found them to be too big.

I like reading on the very smallest font size. What about you?

(I have the gray kindle, I'm not sure if other kindles have more options)
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm not at home (so will vote later), but I know that for these old eyes, I believe it is somewhere in the middle. That is the beauty of ereaders. You can have a wide variety of font sizes.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Depends on the book and situation. Some books has smaller fonts embedded. I generally read the 2nd or 3rd smallest, but I'll often go bigger if I'm reading while eating.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I voted for size 4--it's the one I probably use the most, but it varies between 2 and 5--depending on where I am and how tired my eyes are.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I use Helvetica size 6. That's the advantage of an eReader, we can have whichever font makes us more comfortable. Its one way to avoid buying reading glasses.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
4. Counting from small to larger, left from right.
On my kindle 3(keyboard) that was the perfect size. On my Paperwhite the sizes don't quite match and I could use a 4.5 on caecelia condensed. 5 is just a bit big. I'd like a smaller step between the sizes.
But basically 4. That was the point of me being able to read again a lot because I had issues with the smaller print in paper backs. But then I am farsighted and need bifocals. So the closer something is, the blurrier it gets.

I don't think I would have ever been able to read on 1 much, even when I was a kid. At least not without a magnifying glass. . I can do it for a few lines, until I squint my eyes out of my head that is.

Heck, I can't even read size 8 without my glasses. Not even with just the upper part of them. Need my reading bifocal part of them.

E-ink ereaders have given me the joy of reading back. Changing the sizing is a big part of that. Its pretty priceless for a lifelong reader.

Last edited by Atunah; 11-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Size 4 on K3, K4 and Kindle Fires, Size 5 on the Paperwhite.

Keep in mind I use a custom font I have resized by 2% larger than it's suppose to be. So the font is the same size on all Kindles and that took some work to get it right.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I use 3 on the paperwhite. I also used 3 on the touch and the keyboard.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a nonsensical poll. The font setting one uses to read a book has to depend on the base font size used in the particular book that one is reading, because each font setting on the Kindle simply enlarges or reduces that base size. Nobody (with any sense) would read a book which has an 8pt base font size on the same size setting as a book with a 14pt base font size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I sometimes use 5 and sometimes use 6. I would really like a size exactly between those two. 6 is really too big but sometimes 5 is too small. I don't format my own books and yes, I have noticed that the font size varies a bit from book to book.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Gentium Basic size 6.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does one find out the base font size in points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is a nonsensical poll. The font setting one uses to read a book has to depend on the base font size used in the particular book that one is reading, because each font setting on the Kindle simply enlarges or reduces that base size. Nobody (with any sense) would read a book which has an 8pt base font size on the same size setting as a book with a 14pt base font size.
How does one find out the base font size in each book? Size 6 in Helvetica seems to be a good compromise for me for all my books. My right eye is cataract impaired and I can read eBooks perfectly with it on all my Kindles. Both eyes are Macular impaired and I have good distance and near vision with both.

Maybe 6 is my lucky number. My doctor tells me the brain has to interpret what we see and my brain is in some way compensating for the physical eye defects between the eyes and blocking different defects in each eye. Reading may be partly psychological and subject to brain filtration.

I've never used eye glasses and after nearly 100 years my brain / eye coordination appears to have adjusted on its own to all the problems others have solved by glasses and surgery. Maybe that is why I have never seen any screen defects on any of the Kindles I've owned.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Off topic: are you really closing in on 100? I run into so many people who say that they are "too old" to learn how to use computers, so it is wonderful that someone your age has fully embraced them. (For the record, I had assumed you were in you 70s) May I ask when the big B-Day is?

On topic: the poll results might be more consistent if the question was "for the default font Helvetica, what is your preferred size?" Or perhaps "what are your preferred default settings?" Both line spacing and font choice affect the size font I would use. On most days, it's Palatino, size 4, line spacing 2, margins 3.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
The 2nd font size. This is the one that works best for me, and makes me feel like I am reading a book, as there is more text on the screen. When I put helvetica on size three, there is a gap at the bottom of the screen, can anyone tell me why this is?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

Line spacing and margins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Off topic: are you really closing in on 100? I run into so many people who say that they are "too old" to learn how to use computers, so it is wonderful that someone your age has fully embraced them. (For the record, I had assumed you were in you 70s) May I ask when the big B-Day is?

On topic: the poll results might be more consistent if the question was "for the default font Helvetica, what is your preferred size?" Or perhaps "what are your preferred default settings?" Both line spacing and font choice affect the size font I would use. On most days, it's Palatino, size 4, line spacing 2, margins 3.
I use line spacing of 1 out of 3 and margins of 3 out of 3.