Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Tell me what to read

Yes. Another "recommend me something to read" thread. Except different.

I could peruse the many other recommendation threads, but that would still involve me having to actually make a choice. Clearly, the current "selection funk" I'm in hinges on my ability to choose—an ability that seems to have temporarily abandoned me—so I'm not going to (choose). You are. I'm going to read what the first person tells me to read—the first person to give me a title that falls within certain parameters, that is.

The "rules:"
  1. Immediately available as an ebook (in the U.S.).
  2. Fiction.
  3. Something I've not already read.
  4. Speculative (whether scifi, fantasy, horror, or some fast & loose hybrid thereof) would be nice, but should not be considered a requirement.
  5. Quirky (maybe not outright humor, but something slightly offbeat/weird).
  6. Not part of any series. That one's quite firm, I'm afraid. I don't care if that very special book you're just dying to suggest could be read all by itself if I chose to do so; if it's part of a series ... it's out. Period. Circumvention of the "no series rule" through the omnibus loophole won't be tolerated, either.
  7. Obviously "good" is quite subjective, but I would prefer not to be punk'd with anything atrocious just because it meets my criteria.

First title that doesn't break any of the rules gets read. GO!

P.S. I promise not to lie about having read it or not, if you promise not to waste time trying to thwart the "not part of any series" rule through the usual semantic hooey.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Immediately available as an ebook
Re that point .... You'll have to tell us what geographic region you are in. A book might be available as an ebook in one country, but not in another.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
How about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Re that point .... You'll have to tell us what geographic region you are in. A book might be available as an ebook in one country, but not in another.

Mike
True. I'm in the U.S. I appear to have a "winner" already, but since I may return to this thread from time to time, it's certainly relevant.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks fits most of the criteria, I think. Just don't know if you've read it?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
How about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
Done! I've never read any Murakami, but always intended to. Thanks for the loan of some decisiveness.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks fits most of the criteria, I think. Just don't know if you've read it?
I've not read it yet. I will seriously consider it after the Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Great! Let us know what you think.
I was first thinking of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but since you said no series, and that one is supposedly part of series, I recommended the winner
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
"The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I realized I couldn't play when I got to Rule #6. (I read a LOT of series stuff).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The City at World's End by Edmund Hamilton is good. It's older but it is available online to download (I think it's at manybooks.net).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Or, Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Done! I've never read any Murakami, but always intended to.
I read Kafka on the Shore not too long ago, it was quite... odd. Yet good, too. I'm not quite sure what genre it would be considered... it's definitely speculative fiction, though it doesn't really fall into what I consider fantasy and it's not science fiction or horror.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If you have not already read Armor by John Steakley, you might give it a go.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Life After Life - by Kate Atkinson
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote