Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
frankenhooker
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
My Kobo touch is also bricked after I tried to sideload firmware on to it. I take full responsibility and have since purchased a new one which is working great. My bricked touch does indeed have an internal sdcard, reading through this forum (which is great by the way) it seems that my broken device may not be beyond repair and that I may only have to install an image on to the sdcard.

If this is the case, would any of you kind people give me any advice on how I would proceed ? If I could get the broken device working I could pass it on to my mother, who was impressed with mine.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #32
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I will upload the image of the minisd card that I dd'd off when I got my new unit. Just gonna take a while with my terrible line speed. Will link it here when I'm done.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As for the Japanese bug fix release, it may be fixing a bug that only affects Japanese ebooks where a yokogaki (left to right, top to bottom) book was fine but a tategaki (top to bottom, right to left) book had issues. A show stopper if you are reading tategaki books but a non-issue for the rest of world.
The bug in 2.3.1 that causes the reader to switch to a tiny font at the start of the chapter seems to be fixed in 2.3.2. I think this is the worst of the 2.3.1 bugs as far as impact on reading enjoyment goes, and it seems a bit unfair that everyone gets the bug but only Japan gets the fix.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
I will upload the image of the minisd card that I dd'd off when I got my new unit. Just gonna take a while with my terrible line speed. Will link it here when I'm done.
There might be problems linking here, since the firmware is technically copyright to Kobo and does not include permission to distribute it.. (Kind of silly, I know, but rule lawyers abound.). It would be better to pm the firmware to those who need it.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry to disagree but I've been in open betas for various bits of software. My experience is that those open betas didn't add much in the way of improvements over closed betas.
It really isn't about offering improvements to the beta testing, but about finding the showstoppers earlier.

As things currently stand, Kobo is effectively doing an open beta, but to the general population. The last three (or is it now four) releases have all had showstoppers that required the release to be pulled and then a bug fix release shortly thereafter. And lots of posts about bugs on public forums.

If they had an open beta, then the people that wanted the latest firmware would get it without having to sideload it and presumably the bug infestation conversations would be limited to non-public forums hosted by Kobo.

Since Kobo is currently having a week or two period where they release the new firmware to some members of the public but not others, this would effectively have no impact on the normal public user.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
(Whatever happened to the tech of the first generatoin kobo's.. as I recall, those were able to boot from SD card. Seems like a sensible failsafe to build into a device, no?)
Yep. I think that if you sell a device that can be bricked unrecoverably, it's your own fault if you get more returns for refunds. There should ALWAYS be a failsafe.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #37
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
There might be problems linking here.
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking when typing.

Anyhoo - interested parties feel free to PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The bug in 2.3.1 that causes the reader to switch to a tiny font at the start of the chapter seems to be fixed in 2.3.2. I think this is the worst of the 2.3.1 bugs as far as impact on reading enjoyment goes, and it seems a bit unfair that everyone gets the bug but only Japan gets the fix.
But that is a relatively easy fix -- change font or change font size. What I was thinking of are cases where an attempt to display Japanese characters results in a scrambled display due to mismatch between what the computer thinks is the character encoding and what was actually used by the document. This type of issue would not show with European language ebooks since they have a relatively simple and well-defined character to code transformations. An issue with the top to bottom/right to left character display mode would also not affect European languages but that is the traditional mode for Japanese writing.

In theory, Unicode should solve the character display issue but from what I've read, that is not yet the case. As for handling the tb-rl directive, I've seen inconsistent results when I attempted to display sample EPUB 3 Japanese ebooks (sample-tate.epub and sample-yoko.epub). I haven't checked with 2.3.2 to see if it made any difference in the rendering of the -tate version.

Regards,
David
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
We should try to see which series of device contains the SDcard
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
frankenhooker
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about

Thank you ever so much Serpentine. Everything seems of worked flawlessly and my 'bricked' Kobo touch is a alive and kicking.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
Serpentine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenhooker View Post
Thank you ever so much Serpentine. Everything seems of worked flawlessly and my 'bricked' Kobo touch is a alive and kicking.
Good good - wasn't entirely sure it'd work, but glad to hear it did
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #42
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Man that was such a pain in the butt.... I have been using 2.3.2 since it was available to download and yes I side loaded it no problems.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
It works! It works!!
Serpentine, you're my hero
Thank you frankenhooker!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #44
Eknot
Eknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura aboutEknot has a spectacular aura about

Hi Serpentine,
I am having the exact same problem with my newly purchased Kobo. Any chance you could pm me the microsd image?

Thank you!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #45
Serpentine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eknot View Post
Hi Serpentine,
I am having the exact same problem with my newly purchased Kobo. Any chance you could pm me the microsd image?

Thank you!
PM Sent

Last edited by Serpentine; 01-05-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: woops, wrong place :)
Closed Thread