Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #31
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This is from a highly positive Surface review:
Within an hour or so I was hitting 80% of my regular typing speed on it, and it's firm enough to be used on a lap without too much loss of accuracy. In other words, Surface reduced his data entry speed 20 percent. And isn't the iPad even worse there?
He's talking about the physical keyboard that comes with the Surface. Since tactile feedback is key in touch typing, of course any virtual onscreen keyboard is going to be abysmal in comparison, iPad included. Which is why, as I said upthread, I carry a BT kb with me when I need to do heavy lifting. I don't know how the Surface keyboard compares (never having tried it), but I'm pretty near full speed on the BT kb.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #32
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Skype is doing well.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I don't believe they've sold 40 million licenses to Win8. Says who? Someone from inside Microsoft? Of course they're going to say "we've sold tons, people love it, come get yours!"
Actually, statements like this from publicly held companies are pretty much the most reliable sources available, since lying about things like this leads to pretty stiff prison sentences as well as liability. Unlike a lot of white collar crimes, there are a lot of prosecutions, too.

So if MS says they've sold 40 million licenses, it is almost certainly true. Although the question of who they've sold the licenses to (consumers or OEMs) and of how many licenses were for upgrades as opposed to coming with a new laptop someone bought for christmas are relevant questions not answered by the PR. But you can count on the statement being literally true.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Actually, statements like this from publicly held companies are pretty much the most reliable sources available, since lying about things like this leads to pretty stiff prison sentences as well as liability. Unlike a lot of white collar crimes, there are a lot of prosecutions, too.

So if MS says they've sold 40 million licenses, it is almost certainly true. Although the question of who they've sold the licenses to (consumers or OEMs) and of how many licenses were for upgrades as opposed to coming with a new laptop someone bought for christmas are relevant questions not answered by the PR. But you can count on the statement being literally true.
If they weren't true, that would count as "manipulating the stock price". Apparently the cheap upgrade did get results -- I read a lot of people did upgrade their systems. We upgraded two laptops, I am very pleased with the results.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
It's also possible for companies to have also "sold" X copies to vendors with a clause that they'll buy back unused stock. They get to brag about sales been high regardless of whether they are or not. Not saying MS have done this, just offering the possibility.

Lots of ways to twist statistics without coming close to lying.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
It's also possible for companies to have also "sold" X copies to vendors with a clause that they'll buy back unused stock. They get to brag about sales been high regardless of whether they are or not. Not saying MS have done this, just offering the possibility.

Lots of ways to twist statistics without coming close to lying.
Ah but if you read Sam Harris's "Lying" you'll better understand.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Expected by whom, I wonder. Outside of its two core products -- Windows and Office -- the number of successful products MS has ever had rounds off to as nearly zero as no matter.
Microsoft Flight Simulator, and more importantly, Visual Studio. Also, the dev kits for the XBox and 360 were apparently top-notch.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Also worth remembering that Office is the top-selling Apple Mac software product. Microsoft don't only make money from Windows PCs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #39
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Microsoft Flight Simulator, and more importantly, Visual Studio. Also, the dev kits for the XBox and 360 were apparently top-notch.
And though it is irrelevant now, let's not forget the one that started it all -

Microsoft Basic!

I used that on CP/M before MSDos existed.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Microsoft Basic!

I used that on CP/M before MSDos existed.
Absolutely. Bill Gates made his first millions by (personally) writing ROM BASIC interpreters for the first generations of home computers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #41
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. Bill Gates made his first millions by (personally) writing ROM BASIC interpreters for the first generations of home computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc

Microsoft Basic!
Ahem -- *ALTAIR* Basic, if you don't mind. Gates'/Allen's first BASIC was developed in 1975 for the Altair. It was generalized a year later as BASIC-80 for 8080-based CP/M machines. I've still got my old check register program I wrote in BASIC-80 on my TRS-80, which I later ported to Q-BASIC when I moved to DOS.

And in 1977 Microsoft ported its BASIC to the 6502 and licensed it to some company form Cupertino called -- what was it? oh, yeah -- Apple. At the time Microsoft had a total of six employees. In a grand bit of historical irony it was the phenomenal success of the Apple II which turned Microsoft into a million-dollar company.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #42
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If they weren't true, that would count as "manipulating the stock price". Apparently the cheap upgrade did get results -- I read a lot of people did upgrade their systems. We upgraded two laptops, I am very pleased with the results.
Aaahhh, the old favourite, "anecdotal evidence." Happy for your experience, I can equally quote that a lot of people didn't upgrade their systems. I have had to reinstall 7 and VM'd XP on two friends machines but had no problem trying it out on my iMac... and all of this and the above proves absolutely nothing apart from the fact that we've had differing experiences... just part of the human condition...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #43
kennyc

ah....the human condition....ah.... Too many humans, too little condition...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #44
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
And in 1977 Microsoft ported its BASIC to the 6502 and licensed it to some company form Cupertino called -- what was it? oh, yeah -- Apple. At the time Microsoft had a total of six employees. In a grand bit of historical irony it was the phenomenal success of the Apple II which turned Microsoft into a million-dollar company.
You could make a case that it was Apple's stupidity, considering that they already had something called Integer Basic, which had IIRC been developed by Woz. Applesoft, developed by MS, was somehow easier to work with and got Jobs' approval.

Not like it resembles any modern programming language. You can't even manually number your lines anymore.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #45
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
You could make a case that it was Apple's stupidity, considering that they already had something called Integer Basic, which had IIRC been developed by Woz. Applesoft, developed by MS, was somehow easier to work with and got Jobs' approval.

Not like it resembles any modern programming language. You can't even manually number your lines anymore.
As I recall, after licensing it Apple still had to heavily modify it to get it to run on the Apple II.

And yeah, I really hate it when I can't number the lines in my C# code. What was Microsoft thinking?