Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Downtime explanation 11 Sep 2011

Hello guys,

My sincere apologies for the unexpected downtime you've experienced today. We were offline from 11:28 to 13:23 GMT due to a small (alas, fatal) typo in one of our server settings. Normally we don't mess with these settings, and it only happened as we're preparing for our next infrastructure upgrade (bigger and faster hardware). Again, my apologies, and thank you to everyone who contacted me directly!

Now I wish you all a very pleasant Sunday!

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for all you do Alex.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
No problem. Only people who don't do anything don't make mistakes / have no mishaps at work.

for your work and a nice sunday (afternoon) to you too.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Only people who don't do anything don't make mistakes / have no mishaps at work.
I'll have to remember that one.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
My sincere apologies for the unexpected downtime you've experienced today. We were offline from 11:28 to 13:23 GMT
Cough... 11:28 to 13:23 BST, I think. It was certainly working at 11:20 BST and not working at 11:30 BST.

Thanks for getting it back up so quickly!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I still recall with embarrassment some of the mistakes in parameters I made back in my mainframe System Programming days. Nothing like a mistake causing you to have to restore a standalone system to allow you to edit the live system to bring it up
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
I'll have to remember that one.
Ah. You don't know the whole story, then?

Well, it's: The people who don't make any mistakes get the advancement. See?
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hello guys,

My sincere apologies for the unexpected downtime you've experienced today. We were offline from 11:28 to 13:23 GMT due to a small (alas, fatal) typo in one of our server settings. Normally we don't mess with these settings, and it only happened as we're preparing for our next infrastructure upgrade (bigger and faster hardware). Again, my apologies, and thank you to everyone who contacted me directly!

Now I wish you all a very pleasant Sunday!

Alex
A MySQL version upgrade maybe?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
The people who don't make any mistakes get the advancement. See?
Ha! Advancement? Where? Why didn't anybody tell me????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
A MySQL version upgrade maybe?
Far more trivial. We were cleaning up a few settings to prepare for upcoming hardware upgrades, and we missed to comment out one reference to a now non-existing entry. During log rotation the web server service followed that reference and subsequently complained about not finding the entry. All attempts of our fail-over system to restart the service, well, failed.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Far more trivial. We were cleaning up a few settings to prepare for upcoming hardware upgrades, and we missed to comment out one reference to a now non-existing entry. During log rotation the web server service followed that reference and subsequently complained about not finding the entry. All attempts of our fail-over system to restart the service, well, failed.
Interesting!

Thanks for sharing ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
And there was me thinking you no longer wanted me .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote