Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Did you just get a new reader? Disappointed in Library waitlists?

Lots of people got new readers this year, many expecting to download books from 'a library'.

People are finding out either their library doesn't carry the ebooks they want, or the wait lists are loooong......

Don't despair! Right here at MobileRead, we have over 15,000 public domain books, written by authors who have withstood the test of time, and knew how to put the written word to paper, all in our Patricia C. Clark Memorial Library.

These books have been re-formatted by our own members, proofed for errors and extra pages, and are ready to download to any device. Always check here before Project Gutenberg, or any other 'free' booksite. You'll find the effort worth it.

Click on my link below for help in getting started..start with post #1, and follow along for even more helpful hints.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've had my jetBook Lite for a year now, and thanks to the books that came with it and the MR library, I haven't bought an eBook yet!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
The MR library rocks!!!

I was here for a month before I took a look at it. I figured there wouldn't be anything there I wanted to read. I couldn't have been more wrong! Great reads, beautifully formatted, error free, and organized by genre! I highly recommend it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone is wondering where to start, I'd like to recommend the "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus"

A complete collection of the Sherlock Holmes volumes, do you realize how heave and large the paper book is?

For mobi/prc Users

For epub

LRF version
Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
First make sure the book is in public domain of your country of residence.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Or visit a country where it is, and download it there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I agree, the formatting and quality of the books here at MobileRead is awesome.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Since the warning is highlighted before every link, I felt no need to add that.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I've had my Kindle for only a month, but I have been disappointed that so many ebooks are very distracting to read because of poor formatting. Even some of the well-known publishers don't seem to care about quality.

I haven't downloaded any books from the MobileRead library yet, but I am looking forward to reading the well-formatted ebooks there!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm probably just going to save up and buy a Kindle device rather than waiting for my local library to loan one out to me. They have some e-readers (including some kindles) there but each loan is for about 28 days and I'm # 10 of 10 so with my luck the loaner unit won't be available til Sept. or Oct. never mind what books they have as ebooks through the library.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I've had my Kindle for only a month, but I have been disappointed that so many ebooks are very distracting to read because of poor formatting. Even some of the well-known publishers don't seem to care about quality.

I haven't downloaded any books from the MobileRead library yet, but I am looking forward to reading the well-formatted ebooks there!
Are these book you've bought from Amazon, or freebies, or pdfs?

If you buy a book from Amazon, and the formatting is terrible, you can return it using the 'contact us' feature, explaining the problem. They will refund your money and if they feel it necessary, remove the book until its formatted properly.

The freebies are notorious for errors, and pdfs are just screwy.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Are these book you've bought from Amazon, or freebies, or pdfs?

If you buy a book from Amazon, and the formatting is terrible, you can return it using the 'contact us' feature, explaining the problem. They will refund your money and if they feel it necessary, remove the book until its formatted properly.

The freebies are notorious for errors, and pdfs are just screwy.
Thanks, desertgrandma. Yes, the major formatting problems have been with the freebies. Some of those are from established publishers, while others are not. It's a shame because it doesn't take much effort to create an ebook so that chapters begin on a new page, for example. And I appreciate it when you can use the Kindle 5-way controller to skip between chapters/sections, which many publishers don't enable.

I'll continue to read ebooks and try not to grumble too much. I'm probably too picky anyway. I do enjoy my Kindle!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
None of my libraries offer anything except NetLibrary for e-books, so actually reading a decent ebook that way is an impossibility. I'd love to live in an area that offers actual e-book downloads instead of tech manuals and audio books.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
MV64, do you live in the US? If so, for $15.00 you can sign up with the Philadelphia Free Library.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote