Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
great ibooks update

Hi there,

fresh out now

ibooks update:
- Experience fully illustrated books, from children's picture books to beautifully designed art books, available for download in the iBookstore.
- Organize your books and PDFs into personal Collections. Swipe left or right to jump between Collections.
- Print PDF documents and notes you've written in iBooks using AirPrint.
- iBooks now fits more words per page by automatically hyphenating text, available only on iOS 4.2 or later.

really nice update, i like at most the hyphenating....
i know, about time
regards
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But does this iBooks update fix all the bugs and other wonky things Apple put in?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
Which bugs?

If you could be precise...

Last edited by holterzoff; 12-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I don't know if this is new but I notice a search on the bookshelf (you can scroll the view and the search shows at the top).

The new collection option is great. This should be a awesome for people trying to organize large collections in iBooks. I've moved my books to 4 collections already.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Collections are quite nifty. Especially since you can create and manage them right on the device (wish I could do the same with photo albums).
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Wish that update had included library book support. I'll go back to using iBooks once it can read ADE ePubs (thankfully, Overdrive & Bluefire have covered that need).
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I have same books on my iPad and iPhone 4 and noticed that iBooks also syncs collections across multiple devices meaning it'll automatically create collections for you on another device if you havent done it.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like the lighter color wood for the bookshelf. And on a less shallow note, it seems to load books much faster.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A very, very nice update. It would be nice if I could create and move books into collections from iTunes, but I can live with doing it on the iPad.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I like the collections bit. means I have a more manageable bookshelf, and can mix pubs and PDF on the same shelf now.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Downloading into iBooks

Anyone else notice that you can now download an ePUP and have it open in iBooks. Or did I miss that detail in the previous update? I knew you could download PDFs and have them open in iBooks, but I thought ePUBs still had to be sideloaded. I was downloading a book this morning to try out in Bluefire Reader when I noticed that iBooks was one of the apps that Safari offered as an option.

I really like the interface and dictionary support in iBooks, but the lack of a night mode, and the inability to download my eBooks directly from other sources (since I very rarely sync my iPad), have kept me from switching away from Stanza. So, now I guess I have to decide if night mode is really all that important.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
when you create a collection and move books into it is ther eany way to move them to the order you want them in?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
Anyone else notice that you can now download an ePUP and have it open in iBooks. Or did I miss that detail in the previous update? I knew you could download PDFs and have them open in iBooks, but I thought ePUBs still had to be sideloaded. I was downloading a book this morning to try out in Bluefire Reader when I noticed that iBooks was one of the apps that Safari offered as an option.
no, that's something new. I remember being frustrated because I couldn't open a downloaded ePub newspaper. This is quite handy now.

Quote:
I really like the interface and dictionary support in iBooks, but the lack of a night mode, and the inability to download my eBooks directly from other sources (since I very rarely sync my iPad), have kept me from switching away from Stanza. So, now I guess I have to decide if night mode is really all that important.

The Bandit
Have you tried negative mode?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I like the iBook interface; I agree it's very good. But trying to use the dictionary? 75% of the time or more the word I am unfamiliar with will not pop up in the dictionary. I then forces me to search in Google, thereby losing the whole natural-reading experience. I almost never have this issue with the Kindle app. I'll keep using them both, but my reader of choice app is the Kindle. Simple and elegant.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
it seems broken to me!

No ebook I added to my ipad after updating to the new ibooks app shows up, so I cannot read any new book.I know they are there because if I connect to calibre I can read the list of books available on the ipad.
Valentin Bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote