Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Sarlic
Sarlic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
MOBI file creation and Cover Thumbnails in Kindle for PC

Hi everyone:

I've searched high and low to a resolution to the problem I'm having, with no luck.

I'm a huge fan of David Eddings, and a source of continual frustration for me is that his books are not offered in e-book format. Through various means, I've managed to get electronic copies, and I've taken it upon myself to edit the texts to correct poorly scanned OCR, missing maps, etc.

I'm editing in EPUB format, and then converting back to MOBI. The conversion works well, and then I email the file to my Kindle so that it then appears on my Kindle and my Kindle for iPhone app, and then I drag the MOBI file to my local Kindle for PC folders.

Everything displays perfectly on my iPhone and Kindle, but on my Kindle for PC, the cover art thumbnails just will not display in the Library. When I use "Go To Cover" in the Kindle for PC, it goes to the cover and displays without issue.

I've tried stripping the cover entirely out of the epub, converting to MOBI, adding the cover, then doing MOBI to MOBI, and other variations of the same, to no avail.

Yes, this is a minor issue, to be sure, but the Eddings books were the first I read that got me into the realm of fantasy, so they elicit quite the feeling of nostalgia, so I want my work on them to be perfect.

Can anyone provide any help/suggestions as to how I can correct this cover issue? (Note, I've also looked to the local folder that has the cache of covers, but because Kindle for PC doesn't seem to be applying any artwork at all (it's using the default icon) there is no JPEG file for me to replace to manualy fix the issue.)

Many thanks!

SM
Sarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
I'm not sure it's the complete solution, because it doesn't validate in epub, but it does give a thumbnail.

I use sigil to open up the epub.

Make a thumbnail image (I make them 240 high, but I still use the old 800x600 covers) and import them into the image folder.

In the content.opf file, add the code into the <metadata> section:

<meta content="images/image00004.jpg" name="Cover ThumbNail Image" /> (where the image00004.jpg is the thumbnail file name.)
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert