Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #16621
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I really liked this book, witch I didn't expect. So yeah, my 2th classic this year (counting the Hobbit). Now on to the movie
Next up: Legend by Marie Lu.
I'm reading The Great Gatsby too. And so far, so good.
If you want to go on reading some classics, maybe The Awakening by Kate Chopin can be to your liking. This is a short story very easy to read
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #16622
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Slicky Boys, and enjoyed it as much as Jade Lady Burning. I will definately be reading more of this series (Martin Limon's Sueno and Bascomb murder mysteries).

I've started Lynne Olsen's Those Angry Days, about FDR and Lindbergh's struggle in 1939-41 - Lend-Lease vs America First.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #16623
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Going for a holiday so I am planning to read the first two books in MaddAddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood, before the last novel comes out.
Excellent!!! I can hardly wait to get the last in the trilogy!
I also read The Handmaid's Tale...The reviews were love and hate ones, but I liked it. Though I think MaddAddam is much better.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #16624
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
ATTENTION ALL REACHER FANS!

Lee Child has managed to give us a 'slice' of Reacher's childhood... Two days of it when he was 13 years old, and just as 'Reacher' as the adult version.
"Second Son" is a delightful short story that crams in ALL the 'Reacher-ness' into two days in the life of Joe and Jack moving into new quarters in Okinawa. Completely implausible... unless of course, one is Jack Reacher. Then it all fits perfectly!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #16625
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Currently reading Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, based on recommendations in this thread.

Also just started Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #16626
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started To Honor You Call Us, the first in the Man of War series, by Harvey G. Phillips and H. Paul Honsinger. This one surprised me and I am really liking it. It jumped out and grabbed me from the start. If you like Honor Harrington I think you will like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&psc=1#_
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #16627
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks. It looks interesting, and intelligent pricing, too - I got it at amazon.ca for $CDN 6.00
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #16628
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Next up: Legend by Marie Lu.
This was a fast paced YA dystopian. What's not to love A great read. Highly recommended for ya-dystopian fans.
Next up: The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #16629
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil. This is an omnibus edition edited by Eric Flint. Bought in very early 2002 for about $3. It's just possible I've already read it, but I didn't recognise the first few pages.
I hadn't read it. It's not just an omnibus, but a genuine new edition, bringing together all elements of Anvil's Pandora's planet stories for the first time.

Next up: School of Light by Jody Lynn Nye, bought 29 Jan 2002. I have a feeling I might have read this at some point. If I have I'll skip it and move on.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #16630
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm reading The Great Gatsby too. And so far, so good.
If you want to go on reading some classics, maybe The Awakening by Kate Chopin can be to your liking. This is a short story very easy to read
Thanks for the rec. It's appreciated. My next classic, however, will be a Jane Austen. I ordered a beautiful boxet of all her books. I just had to have them on my shelve
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #16631
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
My next classic, however, will be a Jane Austen. I ordered a beautiful boxet of all her books. I just had to have them on my shelve
Yes! I have a boxed set of her novels. I love the set I have, the books are small and so light, thin pages covered in gold edges and a red satin ribbon bookmark in each. A nice addition to any library. Which one are you planning to read first?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #16632
Joy736
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Yes! I have a boxed set of her novels. I love the set I have, the books are small and so light, thin pages covered in gold edges and a red satin ribbon bookmark in each. A nice addition to any library. Which one are you planning to read first?
I think I migh have ordered the same boxet as you have Glad you like it. I'm planning on starting with Pride and Prejudice.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #16633
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I'm planning on starting with Pride and Prejudice.
Excellent choice
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #16634
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished Into Thin Air:
Quote:
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster is a 1997 bestselling non-fiction book written by Jon Krakauer.
For me this book was both good and not so good. The hardships the climber subjects themselves to are nothing but mind boggling. I'm not a climber and didn't recognize many names, the exception being Göran Kropp but only because he's from Sweden. There's a lot of persons being mentioned in the book, and it doesn't help when the author switches between family names and first names.

Besides all the names it's a glimpse into the world of the climbing elite and what they're willing to subject themselves to to reach there goals (in this case the top of Mount Everest).
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #16635
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Finished Into Thin Air:
For me this book was both good and not so good. The hardships the climber subjects themselves to are nothing but mind boggling. I'm not a climber and didn't recognize many names, the exception being Göran Kropp but only because he's from Sweden. There's a lot of persons being mentioned in the book, and it doesn't help when the author switches between family names and first names.

Besides all the names it's a glimpse into the world of the climbing elite and what they're willing to subject themselves to to reach there goals (in this case the top of Mount Everest).
I found the book both terrifying and illuminating, and if there had ever been even a part of me that thought about climbing, this cured it! But a compelling read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote