Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #106
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Okay, so I have a really dumb question. I'm looking at getting either a 650 or a 950. I REALLY love the idea of that extra inch, but I don't need wifi or 3G.

Does the 950 have the capability of the 650, for user chosen standby wallpaper? Yes, I KNOW that's a really stupid thing to hinge a decision on, but there you have it.
Yes, the 950 can do custom standby screens. A fantastic feature!

I had the older 900 model and now the 950. I thought the aspect ratio was odd until I actually bought and started using the 900. Now I really like the extra inch. The 950 is slightly wider, less tall and less weight than the 900 which makes it comfortable to hold (and I have very petite hands). The extra inch and ability to crop margins also helps with formatting of PDF files, especially ones that I borrow from the library. Actually the 7" 950 is very similar in size to my 6" Kindle (because of the keyboard) which I was not expecting.

Are you a wikipedia user? I don't plan to use the 3G / WiFi access very much for the Sony store; at least I don't use it today with my 900. But, I really am enjoying the wikipedia integration. I know many people don't find wikipedia to be a reliable source. However, I like the ability to see photos that allow you to visualize the people and places that you are reading about.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-07-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #107
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Oh, I didn't think about wikipedia... THAT would make a difference to me, definitely. I use it all the time for quick lookups about things I run across. Guess a 950 it is!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #108
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Oh, I didn't think about wikipedia... THAT would make a difference to me, definitely. I use it all the time for quick lookups about things I run across. Guess a 950 it is!!
Just a note that wikipedia only works over a Wi-Fi connection. It does not work over 3G. You highlight a word (or words) and in the dictionary/note popup box the 950 has a special icon that you click for wikipedia. It opens up the wikipedia mobile website in the browser. You can adjust the size of the text to make it easier to read just like a book. You press the Option button and select Continue Reading to go right back to the page in the book where you were. So it's not a lot of extra steps and is very easy to use without interrupting the reading experience.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #109
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
My local Best Buy finally got their 950s in, so I used up my Best Buy gift card and picked one up. I love the screen size, and the page turn buttons are much easier to press than the ones on my 350. But, I'm surprised to find that I've been spoiled by the featherweight lightness of the 350, even though the 950 weighs less than any of the other non-Sony eInk readers I've owned so far. It's a keeper, just the same.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #110
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Looking at the 950 videos on youtube, and the 505/650 side by side comparisons, I couldn't help but notice how long it was, in a bad way. It does not maintain the 650 screen ratio and it seems more like it's a morning newspaper ereader.

I have a 505 on the way so i can't really decide if I LOVE the 6" but I want to a 950/650 for the family.

So what do you think ? Do you get more of a "true book" feeling from a 650 ?
I guess it's the same with PRS 900 and 600 so feel free to chime in with your experience.

Last edited by Fif23; 11-14-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #111
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
Looking at the 950 videos on youtube, and the 505/650 side by side comparisons, I couldn't help but notice how long it was, in a bad way. It does not maintain the 650 screen ratio and it seems more like it's a morning newspaper ereader.

I have a 505 on the way so i can't really decide if I LOVE the 6" but I want to a 950/650 for the family.

So what do you think ? Do you get more of a "true book" feeling from a 650 ?
I guess it's the same with PRS 900 and 600 so feel free to chime in with your experience.
The 950 is called the Daily Edition for a reason. I've never really disliked the 900 for reading books, but I will say that if portability is a concern, a smaller screen does make it easier.

The extra inch height is actually kinda nice since you get more text per page, without having to give up the width which I've found is pretty good for breaking up your reading. The brain tends to trip up on lines that get too long, and so a taller reader for text reading does actually make a lot of sense in practice.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #112
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
With all the advantages mentioned about PRS-950 in this thread and with B&H offer of $199.99 for a PRS-950, my deal is closed for PRS-950 instead of PRS-650.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #113
Joker.Wang
Joker.Wang began at the beginning.

Device: prs950
hello everyone,i am coming from Shanghai,China.I'm really interested in this product PRS950,but I want to know does it support Chinese originally(some PDF books printed in Chinese,not the menus)???my email is winwangwon@gmail.com,I hope some of you could give me an answer. thanks~~~
Joker.Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #114
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
I'm so pissed I missed the $199 pricing error at B&H Photo! I wonder if the Daily Edition will drop to that price again on Black Friday? I doubt it though....maybe $229.

Question...can you download ebooks that you buy from B&N and Borders online to the Sony Reader? I hear that you can only read ebooks from their bookstore using their own e-readers, otherwise it will be blank (DRM?). I ask this because some of the ebooks from the Sony bookstore are more expensive than other bookstores like B&N.
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #115
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

esquire415, the great thing about the EPUB format that Sony uses is that you can purchase ebooks from lots of different sources. You are not forced to buy from the Sony Bookstore only. The exceptions are that you cannot purchase B&N ebooks or Apple iBooks because they use a different type of DRM encryption that doesn't work with Sony. However, you can purchase EPUBs and PDFs from Borders, Kobo, booksonboard and many other sources. There is a sticky thread at the top of the Sony forum that is all about bookstores that work with Sony. There are even price comparison websites like inkmesh.com where you can enter the name of the book and it will list the prices at various ebookstores to help you find the cheapest price.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #116
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx for the info bookworm_girl. It's foolish of B&N to include DRM protection on their ebooks because they are a bookstore (unlike Apple) and therefore the sale of books/ebooks is their main goal. If they think that more people will buy the Nook because of such protection then they are being near-sighted, only focusing on the immediate benefits but not the long term drawback, thereby missing their bottom line. If they open their ebooks to all eReaders, then they will sell more eBooks.

BTW, I thought they had a black version of the Daily Edition called the PRS-950BC. But I guess that was shelved...so to speak. I would have wanted the black version because the silver is distracting for an eReader.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #117
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
On adorama site there is a black prs-950.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #118
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by grissley View Post
On adorama site there is a black prs-950.
It further states: "Item includes PRS-950SC ..." Order this and you'll get a silver one.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #119
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

esquire415, I do not know why B&N chose a different DRM encryption method than the other major bookstores. It makes the EPUB standard less universal. I also wish that Sony had made their new models work with this other type of DRM.

I think many people agree with you that they would prefer black too. I certainly would! It looks like Sony has decided not to make a black model. Some people like to use skins to cover up the silver but so far there aren't any skins available for the 950.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #120
esquire415
Enthusiast

Hmmmm....I'm hoping to get the Daily Edition from my friend's sister who works for Sony. I only learned today that she gets the same deal as the store (probably because it's too new). So I thought, no problem, I'll just buy it for $250 at the SonyStyle store...but then the price has gone back up to $300! What the...!!! On cyber Monday?! What is Sony's logic on this?