Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
PRS-700 crash whilst reformatting (anyone else observed this?)

Greetings, all! I recently got a PRS 700 and am loving the thing.

I'm trying to track down the root cause of a crash I've seen twice, though, and curious if anyone else has seen it.

In repaginating news dowloaded by Calibre (once New York Times, once the Economist), the unit stops repaginating and hangs. The e--ink display doesn't change, just as if the battery was dead, and pressing reset doesn't do anything. Plugging the unit into a live USB port causes the device to restart with the USB screen after about ten minutes.

I'd think that it was a low battery issue, except that in both cases the battery was fully charged. ISearching the forums here pointed to similar behavior of PRS 505's with low battery).

Anyway, if anyone else sees similar behavior, it'd be good to know what causes it, so that I can avoid it. It's a bummer to get on the train in the morning and have nothing to read!
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
This happens often on my 700 (and 505, and 500), when opening some of Calibre feeds. I either save feeds in lrf format on a disk then transfer through Sony software, or use ePub. First option includes a manual step but it never crashes the reader. Second option is all automatic but some of my feeds never work in this format. NYTimes, Economist, WSJ, Newsweek never crash on my reader in ePub. My local newspaper (very small file comparing to others) always crashes in this format, I have never been able to open it in ePub.

Try both formats, try to transfer through both Calibre and Sony software. I think Kovid added some preprocessing for lrf files but WSJ still gets stuck.

I like 700 but disappointed how often I need to reset it because of these crashes. You should press the reset then turn the power off. It always restarts the reader.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Aha! Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I saw a reference to that behavior at the Calibre tips & tricks page; stupidly, I didn't make the connection.

I'll definitely try ePub and see how it goes. Thanks!!
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote