Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #556
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I would like to add another thing to the list: interaction with technology. In the Potterverse we have the superiority of magic over technology, while Dresden can't use the elevator or a modern car.

I have been wondering since discovering eink if our ereaders would be wizard-safe.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #557
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresdenverse compared to the Potterverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I would like to add another thing to the list: interaction with technology. In the Potterverse we have the superiority of magic over technology, while Dresden can't use the elevator or a modern car.

I have been wondering since discovering eink if our ereaders would be wizard-safe.
In Chapter 28 of Goblet of Fire Hermione says this:

"All those substitutes for magic Muggles use—electricity, computers, and radar, and all those things—they all go haywire around Hogwarts, there’s too much magic in the air."

I don't believe my Kindle would work if it was either at Hogwarts or anywhere near Harry Dresden!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-07-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #558
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Finished Death Masks on Sunday. Enjoyed it (as usual) although Summer Knights is still my favorite, so far.

As I stated in my non-reveiw, I have one main concern:

Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure I like Harry's having one of the coins buried in his lab, but, it does keep it away from the other ones which, ultimately, could be a good thing.

I'm worried that his actions can and will come back to bite him in the butt.

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-07-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: "my" not "me"
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #559
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Finished Death Masks on Sunday. Enjoyed it (as usual) although Summer Knights is still me favorite, so far.

As I stated in my non-reveiw, I have one main concern:

Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure I like Harry's having one of the coins buried in his lab, but, it does keep it away from the other ones which, ultimately, could be a good thing.

I'm worried that his actions can and will come back to bite him in the butt.
Regarding your spoiler-hidden comment (and my spoiler contains no actual details):
Spoiler:
The coin thing turns into a further storyline that, IMO, is wonderful. Totally worth your angst over it now.

Regarding it biting him in the butt - you'll just have to see how that all works out.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #560
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Regarding your spoiler-hidden comment (and my spoiler contains no actual details):
Spoiler:
The coin thing turns into a further storyline that, IMO, is wonderful. Totally worth your angst over it now.
Spoiler:
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #561
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #562
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #563
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
In Chapter 28 of Goblet of Fire Hermione says this:

"All those substitutes for magic Muggles use—electricity, computers, and radar, and all those things—they all go haywire around Hogwarts, there’s too much magic in the air."

I don't believe my Kindle would work if it was either at Hogwarts or anywhere near Harry Dresden!
Yes, but Hogwarts is different, it has centuries of concentrated magic in every brick, and the only effect is making the Muggle devices go haywire. The Deluminator interacts with electric lights just fine.

Harry Dresden on the other hand
Spoiler:
makes electrical things blow up. Do you remember the TV interview?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #564
Mikeloftus
Mikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Prs T1
Hi Guys,

Well I took the plunge and got the first 4 in the series with a KOBO voucher! I am 50% through the first book and loving it already. If the first one is weaker than the rest I am afraid I will be well and truly hooked. It took me a while to get used to the subject matter, I am usually a crime reader and was finding the fantasy element difficult to get in to! I then dropped my guard and just enjoyed it for what it is. I love the mix of fantasy and real life and also the fact the author isn't scared to take the mick out of the genre.

Thanks for all the advice I am glad I took the plunge!

Mike
Mikeloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #565
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeloftus View Post
Hi Guys,

Well I took the plunge and got the first 4 in the series with a KOBO voucher! I am 50% through the first book and loving it already. If the first one is weaker than the rest I am afraid I will be well and truly hooked. It took me a while to get used to the subject matter, I am usually a crime reader and was finding the fantasy element difficult to get in to! I then dropped my guard and just enjoyed it for what it is. I love the mix of fantasy and real life and also the fact the author isn't scared to take the mick out of the genre.

Thanks for all the advice I am glad I took the plunge!

Mike
Fantastic! Welcome to the Dresdenvese Mike. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #566
Nyssa
Series Addict

Blood Rites

I'm only a few pages in to Blood Rites (book #6) and I've already found a couple of LOL moments.

Spoiler:
“ 'Christ, Dresden! You almost got me killed!'
'Don't be a baby. You're fine.'
Thomas frowned at me. 'You at least could have told me!'
'I did tell you,' I said. 'I told you at Mac's that I'd give you a ride home, but that I had to run an errand first.'
Thomas scowled. 'An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo.' "

and

Spoiler:
“Thomas has the kind of whiter-than-white boyish grin that makes women's panties spontaneously evaporate.”
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #567
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I'm only a few pages in to Blood Rites (book #6) and I've already found a couple of LOL moments.

Spoiler:
“ 'Christ, Dresden! You almost got me killed!'
'Don't be a baby. You're fine.'
Thomas frowned at me. 'You at least could have told me!'
'I did tell you,' I said. 'I told you at Mac's that I'd give you a ride home, but that I had to run an errand first.'
Thomas scowled. 'An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo.' "

and

Spoiler:
“Thomas has the kind of whiter-than-white boyish grin that makes women's panties spontaneously evaporate.”
I laughed my butt off when I read those. This book is one of the best. You're really going to enjoy it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #568
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Finished Death Masks on Sunday. Enjoyed it (as usual) although Summer Knights is still my favorite, so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I laughed my butt off when I read those. This book is one of the best. You're really going to enjoy it.
For me, my favorite Dresden book is the one I'm currently reading or, if I'm not currently reading a Dresden book then it's the last one I read.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #569
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresdenverse compared to the Potterverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Yes, but Hogwarts is different, it has centuries of concentrated magic in every brick, and the only effect is making the Muggle devices go haywire. The Deluminator interacts with electric lights just fine.

Harry Dresden on the other hand
Spoiler:
makes electrical things blow up. Do you remember the TV interview?
I didn't mean to imply that the electronic problems are the same in both 'verses, but that both 'verses have problems with electronics. In his James Potter series, G. Norman Lippert adds a new twist to the Potterverse electronics being affected by magic phenomenon when a journalist is able to ...
Spoiler:
locate the 'unplottable' Hogwarts castle with a smuggled in GPS in an electronic handheld game.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #570
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Whilst stating here and now that I am thoroughly enjoying the Dresden Files, I would have to say that the wizards intefering with electronics is one of the more annoying themes in the books. Mainly, its the fact that, when it is required to move the plot along, Harry manages to use phones / drive cars just fine. It just grates on me!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy