Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bug in ePub > ePub

When you convert an ePub that has embedded font code in the CSS to ePub, Calibre decides it's a good idea to take out the font code from the CSS and put it in all of the XML files. Why?

This is a rather silly thing to do (IMHO) and is a bug that should (IMHO) be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because that allows you to have per html global style rules. All @ css rules are put into each html flow separately.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because that allows you to have per html global style rules. All @ css rules are put into each html flow separately.
And if I decide to change the font being used, I have to edit every single XML file. Not a good idea at all.

In fact, I try to do away with the @css rules other then font stuff.

As long as I am here, why does Calibre also put in a top and bottom margin of 5pt (in every XML) when it converts to ePub when I'm specifying a top and bottom margin of 0?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Probably I am misunderstanding something as I am not a CSS person.

Mostly I use the tweak epub option and edit the stylesheet.css when a file defies my attempts to make it how I want it to be. (Weird margins, indents, coloured backgrounds, bold, italics etc.)

This seems to change all of the html files in the epub including the font and font sizes, styles?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Probably I am misunderstanding something as I am not a CSS person.

Mostly I use the tweak epub option and edit the stylesheet.css when a file defies my attempts to make it how I want it to be. (Weird margins, indents, coloured backgrounds, bold, italics etc.)

This seems to change all of the html files in the epub including the font and font sizes, styles?

Helen
This certainly controls the styling but does not remove embedded @page styles that calibre inserts in each XHTML file, and hence the 5pt margin that JSWolf mentions. The ePub can be tweaked to regex them out but it would be nice to have an option not to generate them in the first place. I don't know if kiwidude's Modify ePub plugin can remove them.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert