Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
something interesting I learned

Ok, if you download a book from the B&N website from your library, its in drm pdb format. If you download it with your nook, it will be in drm epub format. Just an interesting bit of fact.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
That is interesting, because I was wondering why all my books were in .pdb format when others say their B&N books are in epub!

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Fooey. I want the epub without the Nook.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I want the epub without the Nook.
Try downloading from within the Windows B&N Reader. It usually grabs the ePub version. A web browser download always gets the eReader PDB version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Try downloading from within the Windows B&N Reader. It usually grabs the ePub version. A web browser download always gets the eReader PDB version.
I saw that hint on one of the other threads yesterday. Downloaded and installed the desktop B&N Reader. Redownloaded all my book purchases. Still every book was PDB, not ePub.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Pegmax1000
Pegmax1000 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Question what is the difference and better???

what is the difference between pdb and epub ? is one preferable? my e reader on my pc has never worked. just got my nook a few weeks ago, lost the charger and had to get one online. not available in stores. so just starting even though i have 85 books loaded. anyone wanting to borrow and lend me titles, i will. i know no one else with a nook.
Pegmax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Adding &mediaProfile=epub to the end of the download link used to work. Last time I tried it it didn't, just gave me the pdb.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegmax1000 View Post
what is the difference between pdb and epub ? is one preferable? my e reader on my pc has never worked. just got my nook a few weeks ago, lost the charger and had to get one online. not available in stores. so just starting even though i have 85 books loaded. anyone wanting to borrow and lend me titles, i will. i know no one else with a nook.
My preference is for ePub. The size of images in a .pdb (eReader) format file is usually smaller than that of ePub, and in my experience, images in .pdb are targeted for smaller devices like 240x320, and images for .epub are targeted for larger devices. In general, looking at an image from a .pdb on my computer or even the nook looks blocky and ugly.

Having said that, I have a huge number of .pdb files purchased at Fictionwise because of the 5% additional Micropay rebate, and .epub files from Fictionwise can only be downloaded on Windows/Mac because they have to be downloaded with Adobe Digital Editions. However, if I know or expect that a book has illustrations, I'll go for the .epub.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote