Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
lugius
Lugius
lugius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Trying to unbrick the Kindle Touch

First thank you for this fantastic forum.

I'm trying to unbrick a Kindle Touch, but i got a fully unsuccessful at now.
I read several articles on this forum about this topics.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/bookworm.gif

I attach my boot log. First problem is: "error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0" but i cant understand what it means.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt Boot Kindle.txt (29.0 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by lugius; 02-01-2014 at 05:53 PM.
lugius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugius View Post
First thank you for this fantastic forum.

I'm trying to unbrick a Kindle Touch, but i got a fully unsuccessful at now.
I read several articles on this forum about this topics.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/bookworm.gif

I attach my boot log. First problem is: "error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0" but i cant understand what it means.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance
Single, easy answer: Use Kubrick Live CD from its 'sticky' top post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
lugius
Lugius

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Single, easy answer: Use Kubrick Live CD from its 'sticky' top post.
First thank u very much for fast reply.
I tried it without success. Was my first attempt. The error was crc error during write the mmcblk files.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First thank u very much for fast reply.
I tried it without success. Was my first attempt. The error was crc error during write the mmcblk files.

Any other suggestions?
Replace the eMMC device (or the entire Kindle).
That indicates a non-recoverable hardware error.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
lugius
Lugius

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Replace the eMMC device (or the entire Kindle).
That indicates a non-recoverable hardware error.
From my point of view, this brick happens during a recent firmware upgrade, I don't believe possible a hardware problem for now.

Thank very much for your replies.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
From my point of view, this brick happens during a recent firmware upgrade, I don't believe possible a hardware problem for now.
You are not providing enough information.

Please post *exactly* what you did, and *how* you produced the information that you are attaching.

Examples:
1a: I rebooted the Kindle with a serial cable, and here is a dump of the serial connection.
1b: I put the Kindle into USB downloader mode, then started this_and_that image, then did this_and_that, and here's what I got.

Specifically concerning Kubrick: exactly how did you get to notice the "crc error while writing to mmcblk" ? Kubrick does not offer anything at that level of detail, fastboot does not offer anything at that level of detail. Are you using a serial console?

But all that said: the device was misbehaving to the point of bricking, and Kubrick didn't help, and you get a CRC error while writing to the mmc device: yes, it's a hardware problem.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
lugius
Lugius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You are not providing enough information.

Please post *exactly* what you did, and *how* you produced the information that you are attaching.

Examples:
1a: I rebooted the Kindle with a serial cable, and here is a dump of the serial connection.
1b: I put the Kindle into USB downloader mode, then started this_and_that image, then did this_and_that, and here's what I got.

Specifically concerning Kubrick: exactly how did you get to notice the "crc error while writing to mmcblk" ? Kubrick does not offer anything at that level of detail, fastboot does not offer anything at that level of detail. Are you using a serial console?

But all that said: the device was misbehaving to the point of bricking, and Kubrick didn't help, and you get a CRC error while writing to the mmc device: yes, it's a hardware problem.
OK, i try to explain the situation better.

I'm using a serial connection with FTDI interface 1,8V type with molex contacts, etc. and putty software.
I started the kindle in recovery mode using the kindleselectboot in fastboot mode and always monitoring with putty.
After I launched a batch command write by me. See the attach.
The writing phases are always OK but not the check cos' on putty return CRC fail.
And the kindle reboots continuously, it loops the cicle previous attached. I have to put it in shipping mode to save the battery.

The same result comes with kubrick dvd/cd.

I tried also 'bist' menu to test the mmc with mmcinfo or mmctest command. the results are ok.

The only test that confims your hardware problem theory is the fail MoviNand test on diags menu, but all other tests are OK.

In usb mode I can write or delete files on the partition 4.

Tx
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Attached Files
File Type: bat command.bat (325 Bytes, 186 views)

Last edited by lugius; 02-02-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK, i try to explain the situation better.

I'm using a serial connection with FTDI interface 1,8V type with molex contacts, etc. and putty software.
I started the kindle in recovery mode using the kindleselectboot in fastboot mode and always monitoring with putty.
After I launched a batch command write by me. See the attach.
The writing phases are always OK but not the check cos' on putty return CRC fail.
And the kindle reboots continuously, it loops the cicle previous attached. I have to put it in shipping mode to save the battery.

The same result comes with kubrick dvd/cd.

I tried also 'bist' menu to test the mmc with mmcinfo or mmctest command. the results are ok.

The only test that confims your hardware problem theory is the fail MoviNand test on diags menu, but all other tests are OK.

In usb mode I can write or delete files on the partition 4.

Tx
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Your tests only narrow down to which portion of the eMMC is bad, not rule out hardware failure.

Necessary parts of the eMMC have failed, , sorry, its dead.