Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eread Bill View Post
Guys
I tried to re-load non-OP 1-14 over itself, no luck.
Tried to fallback to my origional 9-23, no luck.
Now trying to load OP 1-14 over non OP 1-14.
Not having any luck. Progress bar goes about 25% across,
then restarts over and over (about 6 times so far). In the mean time,
the reset button no longer works. Have to unplug battery to power off.

Any suggestions? Is this one gone for good?
You encountered the dreaded flash-loop. It happens whenever you attempt to flash from a 2011 OP firmware to a non-OP firmware. You will need to apply the fixflashloop fix developed by kewlguy. THEN you can flash back to a non-OP firmware.

Generally speaking, once you flash to an OP firmware you need to stay with the OP firmware. Whenever you want to go back, you need to apply the fixflashloop fix BEFORE attempting to flash a non-OP firmware.

Here's the link to kewlguy's OP 1/14-based firmware (which includes info about his fixflashloop fix).

Provided that you can access your PDN via ADB on your PC then your PDN is not beyond help.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
tsbrewers
tsbrewers began at the beginning.

Device: WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You encountered the dreaded flash-loop. It happens whenever you attempt to flash from a 2011 OP firmware to a non-OP firmware. You will need to apply the fixflashloop fix developed by kewlguy. THEN you can flash back to a non-OP firmware.

Generally speaking, once you flash to an OP firmware you need to stay with the OP firmware. Whenever you want to go back, you need to apply the fixflashloop fix BEFORE attempting to flash a non-OP firmware.

Here's the link to kewlguy's OP 1/14-based firmware (which includes info about his fixflashloop fix).

Provided that you can access your PDN via ADB on your PC then your PDN is not beyond help.

I just bought a used wpdn from a buddy who was "nice" enough to update it to the 1/14 firmware. I would like to go to an earlier FW and was planning on doing the kewlguy's mod, but I am wondering if I am supposed to remove the micro sd before I do? Thanks,

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #18
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I got the same messages. I had to start the entire process a second time. Then it worked.

Bummed because now NONE of the third-party e-readers work. The menu button on the top bar disappears when you open a book in Aldiko or Moonreader, and you can't call it with the volume button because thats used to change pages. I'll have to use the built in one, but on the positive side I now have access to Instafetch, and the Kindle App.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I got the same messages. I had to start the entire process a second time. Then it worked.

Bummed because now NONE of the third-party e-readers work. The menu button on the top bar disappears when you open a book in Aldiko or Moonreader, and you can't call it with the volume button because thats used to change pages. I'll have to use the built in one, but on the positive side I now have access to Instafetch, and the Kindle App.
I highly recommend kewlguy's modded 1/14-based firmware. He combined all of the tweaks that I manually made to the stock 1/14 firmware in one easy to apply firmware. Everything works including those other ereader apps.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
saf47
saf47 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (7" black)
Question 1/14/2011 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post

Once downloaded and launched, the firmware updater will guide you through the process of updating your firmware. Now there are two options available for firmware. One is for the standard Novel "reader" which is dated 11/19/2010 and the other is the new "tablet" firmware which is dated 1/14/2011.
I upgraded my firmware to the 1/14/2001 version a couple of days ago which was very easy and have mixed emotions about it. It tends to be a bit buggy and crashes frequently. It also makes the touchscreen work much faster which is good. It has an actual desktop with icons for different things, and that's nice, but I'm thoroughly confused about how to use it now - (1) I can't figure out how to import books from my sd card, (2) I can't figure out how to organize my books into specific folders, and I'm sure there are other things frustrating me right now but I can't think of them at the moment. Of course there is no User Guide for this new upgrade and the old User Guides don't apply.

Can anyone offer solutions to (1) and (2)?

Thanks!

Last edited by saf47; 01-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
saf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Eread Bill
Eread Bill began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel 7
Thanks for all the help guys.

Mine is dead now, broke a couple wires off the battery
connector powering down. Won't start or charge.
Kohls will take it back, but I'd like another 7, even stock.
Anyone know if anyone has any?
If I can't find a 7, I might try a PD 9" from QVC. $200 and
free shipping, can't beat the deal, but I don't now much
about them. Reviews are about the same as the 7, love or hate.
Anybody know anyone who has one or knows about them

Thanks for all the help on the 7,
Eread Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf47 View Post
Can anyone offer solutions to (1) and (2)?
The stock B&N reader will automatically "see" books on the SD card. Try copying your epub files to the SD card in a folder called "ebooks" with the groups of books in seperate folders underneath.
While the PDN is on and on the main screen, eject the SD card and re-insert. Try opening the B&N reader and go into the "my bookshelf" (or whatever it is called) and see if the books show up automatically.

You can also try the Coolreader app mentioned in another thread in this group.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
mickid
mickid began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150
I went through the same thing. I did manage to flash it to the 11/19 version without a problem. Then I tried using the windows program to upgrade and once again got to the same thing - no reader, apps with icons and no programs, etc. After reading on here, rather than stepping back to 11/19 again, I tried flashing it again with the memory card in. I don't know if it was the memory card or if it just needed to go through the reflashing process again with what had been previously loaded but it works now. Only thing missing is the upgrade program they are referring to in the new manual.

HTH!
mickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
saf47
saf47 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (7" black)
Thanks so much. I'll try that.
saf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #25
chuck2
chuck2 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7 Black
HEY GUYS, I GOT MY PANDIGITAL NOVEL 7 RIGHT BEFORE X-MAS, ON QVC. ASSUME I HAVE THE LATER VERSON ? INTERNET WORKS GREAT AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT BOOKS. WAS I SUPPOSED TO GET A SD CARD WITH IT? WOULD LIKE TO ADD MORE MEMORY, BUT DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT. IT WILL NOT RUN FLASH. CAN THIS BE ADDED?
chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 AM   #26
chuck2
chuck2 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7 Black
WHAT DOES THE JUNIOR MEMBER MEAN - BEGINNER ? THAT'S ME. I DON'UNDERSTAND HOW TO WORK THHIS SITE.
chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #27
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2 View Post
ON QVC
From talk in the slatedroid forums, I think the QVC version has slightly different hardware/firmware than the standard. I don't know exactly what you would need to do to change anything on that version.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #28
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eread Bill View Post
broke a couple wires off the battery
connector
Yeah, bummer.

I have read that before attempting to unplug the battery, some users have dropped a spot of hot glue on the connector to add a little support.

So far, I have only unplugged the battery connector once, when fiddling with the SD card the very first time. I prized the connector out with a fingernail instead of pulling on the wires.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #29
Debrah
Debrah began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital
Hi Steven522 and all. I'm new here, so hope this is posted in the right place.

I stumbled across your interesting post because I just got a white Pandigital reader and while trying to update to the latest ereader version, I inadvertently turned it into an android tablet simply by updating to the 1-14 firmware. From reading your post I'm figuring that I can't go back to the original version... but that's okay. My main question now is, since I didn't remove the back and increase the capacity of the internal SD card, is it now too late without messing up the upgrade that I already did? I'd kind of like to have more memory to upload apps. Sorry, not tech saavy at all.
Debrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #30
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Debrah, 1/14 actually partitions off half of the internal card to install apps on, so you should have plenty of capacity to install everything you need (500+ MB). You can use a card in the regular external SD slot to keep your books and other files on.

If you really want to put a larger card inside the machine, I'm pretty sure you could do that and use the updater program from Pandigital's site to "upgrade" to 1/14 again (on top of itself) which would then partition off half of whatever card you stick in there for apps space, with the remaining half available for you to stick other files in. (but verify this with someone more knowledgeable than me before you try it)

But really I can't imagine you would need more than the 500MB already available to you for apps.

Then just get a 4 or 8 GB SD card to stick in the top slot for your files.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote