Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty is the first horror novel I read. An excellent read.
The same for me. When I read it, still in my teens, I was actually afraid of opening to book to continue reading as I was sure the devil himself was inside. Man did it play with my head... hehe
Definitely creepy.

Truth be told The Exorcist was the first novel I ever read that I wasn't forced to read. I was 17 and had just graduated from High School. Any novel I read before the Exorcist I was forced to read for school.

All of my self selected reading prior to this novel were in the form of newspapers, magazines and comics.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
After watching the movie Legend of Hell House, I cased after the book. Both quite good. That lead me to #2 which was The Sentinal. Though my introduction to horror was Dark Shadows in the early 60s. Got home from shool just in time to watch.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Lightbulb

Truth be told, my first introduction to horror was the radio, albeit secondhand. My uncle used to recite episodes from shows like "Inner Sanctum" and "Lights Out" to me, in the dark. Turned me into a lifelong fan. And an insomniac!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
pauleigh
pauleigh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
For me it was the shinning which I thought was (at the time) scary - But I think now Clark Ashton Smith & H P lovecraft - especially - at the mountains of madness, whenever I read it it makes the goosebumps appear !!
pauleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
Scamper
Scamper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Lovecraft and Thomas Ligotti

Ann Coulter is pretty scary too.
Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
"The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" by M. R. James. I read it at bedtime when I was about ten and had a sleepless night.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Believe it or not, the novelisation of "Alien" by Alan Dean Foster.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
Ghostlight
Book Nut
Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iPad 2, Nook Color
The Stand-Stephen King
Ghostlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
njm
njm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Book Reader PRS-300
I got into horror from watching movies, mostly the old Universals and Hammers. The first full-on horror writer I read was probably Stephen King aside from maybe Poe. Before that I read horror comic books. Not EC because they hadn't been re-issued yet, but the watered down DC line, House of Secrets and so on, and Gold Key, those digest sized comics they'd have of Twilight Zone and Boris Karloff and others.
njm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I love the old Universal horror movies. I started watching Creature Feature when I was little. Creature from the lBlack Lagoon! Someone else mentioned Dark Shadows too right ater school. Those were definitely from my formative years, and probably help me get into reading too.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #26
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
James Herbert's THE RATS
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote