Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Angry Kindle Service sucks!

I ordered on day one, and enjoyed my Kindle enough to mothball my Sony 505 and Sony 500 without any question. But then, less than a month after recieving it, it just died. That was December 18th, and here we are just hours from the new year and my replacement still hasn't even shipped, despite assurances from support when I first called that I would have it within 7 busines days, and assurances just this week that it would ship no later than today. They can't even tell me when or if they will have a replacemet to send me now, more than 3 weeks after I called in my problem. Not the kind of support I expected on a product that was hyped so highly and looked to be a game changer in the industry.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think you should give Amazon the benefit of the doubt. I think they don't have one to send to you. The shipment probably hasn't come in yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think you should give Amazon the benefit of the doubt. I think they don't have one to send to you. The shipment probably hasn't come in yet.

I disagree. This would be intolerable whether it was Amazon, Sony or Bookeen failing to deliver. If the device suffers a total meltdown within 30 days of delivery, then the supplier should make good, and do so rapidly.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
in my opinion....goes with the territory of buying something so new from a company just stepping into this business. Some wait for awhile to make a purchase just for this very reason. Poor service? yes of course, but not unexpected when Kindles are on serious backorder. I'm sure Amazon isn't happy with the situation either, they want to sell as many as possible and make everyone happy as possible as well.

Last edited by Ervserver; 12-31-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I disagree. This would be intolerable whether it was Amazon, Sony or Bookeen failing to deliver. If the device suffers a total meltdown within 30 days of delivery, then the supplier should make good, and do so rapidly.

Derek
One item I got myself for Christmas was the Complete Calvin & Hobbes from Amazon. When I got it, it showed signs of water damage. I of course asked for a replacement.

Amazon shipped the replacement by courier (to make sure I got it by Christmas). I would have been fine with UPS Ground. The shipping cost was probably higher than their margin on the $68 transaction.

Now, if they they are willing to lose money to keep a customer happy on a $70 sale, don't you think they would do the same for a $400 transaction (if they could)?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
lordd
lordd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
I ordered on day one, and enjoyed my Kindle enough to mothball my Sony 505 and Sony 500 without any question. But then, less than a month after recieving it, it just died. That was December 18th, and here we are just hours from the new year and my replacement still hasn't even shipped, despite assurances from support when I first called that I would have it within 7 busines days, and assurances just this week that it would ship no later than today. They can't even tell me when or if they will have a replacemet to send me now, more than 3 weeks after I called in my problem. Not the kind of support I expected on a product that was hyped so highly and looked to be a game changer in the industry.
I also am awaiting shipping of a replacement. I am supposedly getting 1 day shipping, but the only problem is that they won't estimate a delivery until a month to a month and a half from today.
I don't blame Amazon, I think they have no choice but to send it when they get it.
Dennis
lordd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
When you order a new Kindle, Amazon does not charge your credit card until it ships. If you return a unit for repairs, Amazon has already been paid. A two week wait would be reasonable, but 4-6 weeks is way too long. Amazon really should have put some fraction of their inventory aside for repairs. Since they obviously did not put enough (if any) aside, any canceled or returned order should go to someone waiting for replacement.

Amazon has always been very good about replacement, so I think this is a start up issue. This does not mean they should not do something about it though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon probably did have a certain number of units set aside for to use as replacement units but I'm wondering if there are way more repairs than they anticipated.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Or possibly when they sold out they decided to take the risk of sending out some of the reserve units and are now caught short.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I've heard some other stories of people with broken Kindles getting gift certificates when they get their replacements. Tell us if they do make it up to you.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #11
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Sorry i haven't updated the thread, got busy with work and life. Replacement got here on the 7th. So far no problems at all. And yes, I ended up with a total of $40 in Kindle content free for my trouble, but they lost much more than that in me having to tell all of my family and friends over the holidays that they should wait to buy until kinks are worked out with reliability. Bad pr is never good.

Drew
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote