Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
ylmrog
ylmrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF Books and mags on the Kindle

I haven't received my Kindle yet but I have hundreds of .txt, .pdf and other books and periodicals and I want to know if I will be able to view them?

Most important: My brother scans old magazines he has for me in pdf format, will I be able to view these? Will they look like they do on a computer?
They are hand scanned, and nothing was converted to text so the pdf is really images of the magazine pages.

Will that display?

I also have a huge collection of ebooks in many different formats, text, lit, pdf.. how about those?

Thanks for the info.
ylmrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think scans of magazines (i.e. images in PDF format) will display well on the Kindle. Like other DRM-free PDFs, Amazon will convert them to AZW (MOBI) for you. In this format, the maximum image size is something like 480x640 and larger images will be rescaled to this size.

If you have a Windows PC, MobiPocket's Desktop Reader can import .txt and .lit (first exploded by ConvertLIT into an OEB e-book) e-books and convert them to DRM-free MOBIs that are readable on the Kindle. There are other options for creating MOBI versions, e.g. Mobiperl. You can get some idea of how they will look on the Kindle by trying them in MobiPocket's Desktop Reader in a 600x800 display window.

Secure Adobe e-books (PDFs with DRM) are not currently readable on any E-Ink device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
ylmrog
ylmrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you, that was very helpful.
ylmrog is offline   Reply With Quote