Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
jtavrisov
jtavrisov began at the beginning.

Device: none
EBook for a Russian Grandmother

Okay so my grandmother wishes to buy an E-Reader and asked me to pick one up. I've never used one and I have no idea on any of it. So as I begin my research I like to post topics in various forums. Usually provides some up to date instant information, opinions, and jumping off points.

Now she's going to be reading books written in russian so language support is a must (if they don't already). Its also for a grandmother so eyestrain is a huge factor. Cost is also another big one, gotta keep cost as low as possible. Under $150 but less is better.

As for size, I would say that bigger is better but in a cost effective way.

Other than than that everything else is extras. Wifi and such is going to be beyond her capability as well as other gimmicks.

Thank you for any responses you can give.
jtavrisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try here, for starters:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92305

Beyond that, the first question you need to settle is where do you intend to get the books. Amazon? B&N? Generic Adobe shop? Public domain? Library? The source and format of the books will automatically rule out some contenders and rule others in.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
PocketBook 301+ is a best seller among Russian speaking grandparents. All PocketBook models support Russian and even have an option to set a menu in Russian. Unfortunately it is above the budget you have planned, but it is well worth the money and I am sure your grandmother will appreciate the device.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
jtavrisov
jtavrisov began at the beginning.

Device: none
How about the new Kindle thats coming out? Price is quite low and supports non latin characters
jtavrisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yes, it supports cyrillic.
And it is definitely the low-cost bidder.
Note that it locks you into the Amazon bookstore for *DRM'ed* ebooks.
DRM-free books you can, of course, get from anywhere but you might need to convert them if they're not in mobipocket format.
(Look into the Calibre free software package. Most people like it.)

You've checked the manual?
http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf

It's not a bad reader at all and the new one has much better ergonomics and controls than the previous generations. If it's limits don't concern you she'll probably enjoy it.
Good luck!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert