Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #61
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can Readerware handle the fct that if I have an ebook edition and a pbook edition that they are different books?
Readerware uses the ISBN as the key to identify books. It also supports having multiple copies of a single book, each with a different location. I imagine that this capability was originally added to support libraries and used book stores, but it sure seems like it would allow you to have one copy on your shelf and another on your computer (for example).

I own Readerware, and use it to catalog my paper books. I haven't started entering my electronic books yet, but that's how I'm currently planning to handle them.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #62
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
ReaderWare doesn't seem to know about different editions of the same book, i.e. same title and author, but different binding (hc/pb/ebook) and hence different ISBN. I haven't updated my copy in about a year, though, so maybe the author has fixed that by now. I did write to him about the problem a while back. I guess it would be non-trivial to automate the link, because the title or author might have been spelled slightly differently in the multiple entries, but I still think you ought to be able to link up the different editions quickly and easily.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use Book Collector from collectorz.com for my pbook, or at least I was I haven't been to good about keeping it up to date. It's decent software. I've also messed with Shelfari which is an interesting site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do any of these programs such as Book Collector or Readerware allow me to put in an ebook and tell it what formats I have the book in? For example, I download a book from Baen in LIT format. Then I convert it to LRF. Now I have it in both LIT and LRF. Would i need two entries, or would a comments field be available? Also, because these are ebook, I would hope there would be no field for whether it's paperback or hardback since that would not be appropriate for these. Would be for my dead tree books though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #65
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Readerware has user-configurable fields that you could use for this purpose, or you could use a general-purpose comments field, as you suggested. You can download a trial version for free from http://readerware.com. (I have no financial interest in this company.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do any of these programs such as Book Collector or Readerware allow me to put in an ebook and tell it what formats I have the book in? For example, I download a book from Baen in LIT format. Then I convert it to LRF. Now I have it in both LIT and LRF. Would i need two entries, or would a comments field be available? Also, because these are ebook, I would hope there would be no field for whether it's paperback or hardback since that would not be appropriate for these. Would be for my dead tree books though.
For Book Collector you could select ebook as the format & then put the file types in a comments area or you could create custom formats & have separate entries for each. It's pretty flexible.

They do have a demo you can download to try it out for your self.

~Brian
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to give these programs a trial and see how they work for my needs. Thanks all!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #68
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
I've been using Tellico for a while now (http://periapsis.org/tellico/), and it works pretty well.
I use it for both my bibliography for scientific articles (it has a BibTeX export function) and my paper books (though that file is in desperate need of updating).

It has good support for downloading information on the book based on the ISBN number an such.
Furthermore it is a collection manager program, so it can be used for any kind of collection. There are some pre-defined ones like book, video, music, wine, coin, etc. but you can also define your own by entering the fields.
The fields can even be added to an existing or predefined collection if needed.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It would help a lot if it actually ran with Windows.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #70
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
Hmmm, that's a little snag yeah

Perhaps it runs under Cygwin, but that would require a bit of work I guess.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think Cygwin is more hassle then it is worth. I already have two programs to check out sometime. Plus I could make an Access database if need be.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Once its ported to KDE4 it should run under windows natively.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't think it will be ported as it says it's for KDE 3.x.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
most KDE apps will be ported. Most of the porting is quite automatic. Of course it depends on how much time the author has.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #75
Evadman
Evadman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It annoys me greatly that there is not a mainstream program for cataloging ebooks and such. I make it a point to buy books that come with an electronic version, or just the electronic version itself.

I also have begun converting some of my docs into LIT files (then LRF) so I can take them wherever I need to go. As a programmer having books like this instantly available is a huge win, and toting a library is much harder than 15 or 20 2 GB MicroSD cards. Trying to figure out where the book is though is driving me bonkers.

Since there son't seem to be a mainstream cataloger (besides Readerware which costs $ and doesn'thave the features I want anyway) I think I will just write one. Being a programmer at heart, this shouldn't bee too bad. Throw something like MS SQL Express as the backend with a 4 GB limit should be enough for any cataloger. I will have to do some research to see if there is a cataloging service you can hit 9library of congress, amazon, etc) like you can for mp3's.

Since I haven't started writing it yet, feel free to toss requests here or shoot me an email or something. I can't promise dates or anything because they will be based on my time and what features we come up with.

what I can promise is that it will be windows based written in visual basic (maybe MS Access for a version or 2 since it is so easy) I wouldn't mind screenshots of your access DB HarryT, it will get a jump start on things. One of the limitations of Access though is that you have to have access to use it, so that will exclude a lot of users since access is about as much as a eReader now
Evadman is offline   Reply With Quote