Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
weeziepepper
Enthusiast
weeziepepper began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150, Astak Pocket Pro
Please help! Torn between the Astak Pocket Pro and the COOL-ER

Hello everyone. I would like some advice please.

I want to get a new ereader (I currently have an ebookwise). I was all pumped to buy the Astak Pocket Pro but then saw some reviews and pics of the COOL-ER. Now I'm not sure which one I should get.

I don't want anything fancy, no need for wifi or a dedicated bookstore setup. I just want a basic reader that will work with the main file formats available like DRM pdf and epub. I have a lot of ebooks that are MS Reader with DRM that I will need to convert (I guess through Calibre?) to ePub or PDF for whichever reader I buy.

Can you have extra storage with a SD card on the COOL-ER like you can on the Pocket Pro? If not about how many ebooks will fit on the internal storage of the COOL-ER?

What are some of the biggest differences between the two? I know the COOL-ER is a little more expensive but what else? Are the warranties much different? What about sturdiness and feel?

I normally just buy fiction and romance books so I don't want anything that is too complicated. I don't need anything to read special reports or documents.

Thanks for the help.

Weezie
weeziepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Cool-er is very similar to the Astak Mentor Lite 2. See Difference between Astak Mentor and EZReader?

If you want a 6" screen, I suggest the EZ Reader Basic. This is a solid design that has sold very well worldwide.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Wallcraft.

I didn't realize the COOL-ER is so close to the Mentor Lite 2. I've read in several reviews that the buttons on the COOL-ER are really hard to use (they're tight) and it feels a little flimsy. I think I'm getting lured in by all the bright colors it comes in. But I don't like some of the things I've been reading about it.

I may just stick with my original plan to buy the Pocket Pro.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Flimsy

I have a Cool-er and I do not feel that it is flimsy. I think people get that impression because it is made of a light weight plastic. Mine has been hauled around in my purse and is very well used. I have not broken it (well other than software issues but that is another story) as of yet.

I will agree that it does have a page turning button issue. The button is not hard to push so much as it is a poor ergonomic design. The button is flush with the case. So when you push the button you are also pushing on the case giving the feel that the button is harder to push than it really is. It just feels that way because you are pressing on the case.

Anyway I like my Cool-er very well! I have a pretty purple one.

I don't have an Astak so I don't have an opinion on that one for you!

I hope that whatever reader you get you like it!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help Amy. I'm so indecisive about things so I keep wavering on what to get.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the button on the Cool-er? Also based on my research the Cool-er can read DRM pdf and epub. Is that right?

Does it come with a protective case/holder like the Pocket Pro?

Also does it show what page you are on and how many more are left when reading a book? I don't think the Pocket Pro does that which is something I like on my ebookwise.
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Sorry but I also have a few more questions. I just read some info about the Sony prs-300. Is it better than the Astak Pocket Pro? Does it read DRM pdf and epub too?

I read somewhere on the forums that the Pocket Pro is hard to set up. Is that true for the Sony too?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All three (EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Cool-er, and PRS-300) read DRM pdf and epub.

When reading ePub, the Pocket Pro normally uses the full screen for text but if you press the OK button the footer bar with the page count comes up with a menu of options. I think the other two have a footer bar all the time. See Font Sizes on Pocket Pro for scans of the Pocket Pro with a large font on various ebook types (ePub first) and I have attached a scan of an ePub on a smaller font after the OK key has been pressed to bring up the menu and the footer bar.

The features of the PRS-300 and the Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) are in the same table in the E-book Reader Matrix. These are both good devices, with the Pocket Pro having more expandability and more features probably at a slightly higher price (if you get a deal on the PRS-300).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEZ_3ePubPM.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	41011  
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks Wallcraft. The pics were very helpful.
I'm going to check out the Sony prs300 tomorrow at Borders. I want to see what it's like up close.
There is also a special bundle package on the Sony website - buy the prs300 for $199 and get one accessory (such as the cover or charging adaptor) for free. Plus I think it may be free shipping.
I mostly wanted to make sure I could buy epub and pdf files and put them on the Sony. Looks like I would just have to use Adobe Digital Editions so it doesn't sound too hard. At least hopefully not too hard.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeziepepper View Post
Also does it show what page you are on and how many more are left when reading a book? I don't think the Pocket Pro does that which is something I like on my ebookwise.
I have a PP and it does show how many pages are in the book and what page you're on, etc.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I have a PP and it does show how many pages are in the book and what page you're on, etc.
Not continually, on the status bar, like other devices do. That has been what people have been requesting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
It does in most ebook formats, but not in PDF and ePub.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Page number bar

Cool-er has a page number estimate bar at the bottom. It basically estimates how far along you are in the book, it shows if you are in the middle or near the end. It also have a page number but unless you know how many pages there are in the book saying you are on page 20 doesn't necassarily help much, you could be on page 20 of 30 or page 20 of 200.

On the Cool-er you can also turn off the bar if you so desire.

Cool-er does support DRM epub and PDF, its PDF reflow is decent, not wonderful but it is readable without the reflow issues being overly distracting. Epubs show up find, though they do have the epub ghosting page number thingy (its a epub "feature" not a Cool-er thing)

If you are in the UK I think Cool-ers are sold in Waterstones as well as online?

The Sony's have the benefit of being around for a while now and in general stable firmware. The screen on the PRS300 will be smaller.

If I was going with the Astak it would be because of the page turning buttons, which I believe are on the side? Not on the bottom like the Cool-er and Sony PRS 300.

Let us know what you go with!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does in most ebook formats, but not in PDF and ePub.
Ah! I've only been reading books mostly in text at the moment so I didn't realize it didn't do it in PDF or epub.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Since I am an evil, evil person, I am going to suggest you check out this one, instead:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908
You might like the pearlescent white version.
It is very thin, but solid.
Feels like a solid metal slab with no flex whatsoever.
If you're coming from the Ebookwise (my mother has two) you'll like the layout on the Pocketbook 360.

The 6" Aztak is a pretty good bit of hardware and you have a choice of at least three sets of firmware, depending on your needs.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
weeziepepper
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

The Pocketbook 360 sounds like a really good reader. Based on pics it looks a little bulky and not very thin. I definitely want a reader that is pretty thin and lightweight. Also I think the Pocketbook may be a little more expensive than the Sony prs300.

I checked out the Sony prs300 at a Borders this afternoon. I like the screen and clearness of the text. Not sure about the response time on page turns. It was a little slower than I thought it would be. Seems like my ebookwise turns pages quicker than the Sony. I do also like the buttons on the right side - not very obtrusive - and the buttons on the bottom seemed to be easy to use. I also really like the hot pink color - very cute.

I think I'm going to just focus on getting either the Astak Pocket Pro or Sony prs300 since they are definitely in my price range and both seem like very good readers.

Which file formats work best on the Astak? Which ones work best on the Sony?