Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
These ARE factory refurbished, so it's conceivable that it was not properly repaired.

...Nevertheless, sorry to hear you're having some issues with your unit.
Thank you. I'll add that as with the above, while the box looked somewhat shopworn, the unit looked impeccable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the problem with "refurbished" units, is that it really means "cleaned and repackaged customer returns." And, since so many of those returns were really the result of "buyer's remorse" with nothing actually wrong, the refurbishers assume that all of them are working fine and sometimes take shortcuts when testing.

Still, I feel bad that one of them isn't working.
I also think this is the deal with refurbs. I'm a cheapskate, so virtually all my devices have been refurbs or older models or both and they've all been fine.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
issybird: I recommend you do a factory reset before you give up. Then several charge cycles.
It also conceivable that, if the battery is badly drained, that you (issybird) might need a USB charger with a bit more "umph." I've got an HP TouchPad that came with a USB charger that has about twice the amps as a standard one and, when the TouchPad's battery is drained, that's the only charger that will get it going again. Otherwise a lesser charger can charge the battery. I think I also had to use that charger on another device when I first got it ... can't remember which (I haunt the pawn shops for these things).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm a cheapskate, so virtually all my devices have been refurbs or older models or both and they've all been fine.
Me, too. Only one of my current ereaders was bought new. But 4 of our 8 tablets were bought new.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I also think this is the deal with refurbs. I'm a cheapskate, so virtually all my devices have been refurbs or older models or both and they've all been fine.
Same here. Used or refurbs. Unless a new one is on clearance or is a really good deal. Of the fifteen (or so) eReaders that have gone through my hands (mostly either handed off to family members or resold) only one, my original, Nook Simple Touch was new -- and that one was on sale for $79 at Best Buy (at the time they were normally $99). I didn't regret buying that one new at all, however.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
issybird: I recommend you do a factory reset before you give up. Then several charge cycles.
Thank you. At this point, I suspect the remaining issue is mostly with the battery icon. The unit is no longer freezing nor is it not being recognized by my computer. So I'm going to run the battery down a bit (I'll make it my reader du weekend) and charge it up and hope the icon kicks in and also get a feel for whether the battery can hold a sufficient charge to last a reasonable length of time. Not sure if I want to live with an otherwise working unit without a battery indicator.

I was never going to break my heart over this. My X50s are humming along and I still love them best of my chickadees. It was because of that love that I thought I'd pick up a T-2 (cheap!) while I could, as I've had/have Nooks/Kobos/Kindles and none of them work for me like Sony.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
It also conceivable that, if the battery is badly drained, that you (issybird) might need a USB charger with a bit more "umph." I've got an HP TouchPad that came with a USB charger that has about twice the amps as a standard one and, when the TouchPad's battery is drained, that's the only charger that will get it going again. Otherwise a lesser charger can charge the battery. I think I also had to use that charger on another device when I first got it ... can't remember which (I haunt the pawn shops for these things).
Heh. I have a TouchPad too and I've also used the charger to get devices going that have been dead as the proverbial doornail. Off to move the T-2.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #37
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dang it, the more times this thread floated up to the top of the page, the more times I was tempted. I just gave in and ordered. Thanks a million.

I don't think my profile has room for another device.

Last edited by curtw; 06-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #38
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Dang it, the more times this thread floated up to the top of the page, the more times I was tempted. I just gave in and ordered. Thanks a million.

Yep, same thing has happened to me. Since I also have an HP Touchpad with the heavy duty charger, I had NO resistance at all to temptation...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally solved a problem I was having with lines vanishing. It was the hyphenate plugin in Calibre. Once I removed all the soft hyphens, no more disappearing lines. So now when I embed my font, and set the size at 12 pt, I appear to have a perfect document. Just thought I'd share
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #40
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Finally solved a problem I was having with lines vanishing. It was the hyphenate plugin in Calibre. Once I removed all the soft hyphens, no more disappearing lines. So now when I embed my font, and set the size at 12 pt, I appear to have a perfect document. Just thought I'd share
That's good to know! Thanks for sharing.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

Sorry.

EDIT: If only you had held out for just a couple more days ... looks like the $30 T2s are gone.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-22-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #42
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:

Quote:
Sorry.

EDIT: If only you had held out for just a couple more days ... looks like the $30 T2s are gone.
It shows up for me -- limit 16, but I only put one in my cart to check.

I don't think I want one, but I suffer from the same "Oh, look, it's been bumped again and $30 really isn't that much when today Amazon is having a Kindle Touch lightning deal for $45."

My T1 is fairly new and still works great. As much as I love my Sony Readers (this is my second), I am more afraid that the battery will not hold up if I buy it and don't use it for a really long time. I'd rather wait and see what is out when the time comes.

Still, that is a really tempting price and I'm wondering if one of my kids would like a replacement for *their* Kindle. And the soon-to-be Kindergartner doesn't have one of his own yet.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
today Amazon is having a Kindle Touch lightning deal for $45."
That's not the Touch, that's the Basic. Entirely different.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I don't think I want one, but I suffer from the same "Oh, look, it's been bumped again and $30 really isn't that much when today Amazon is having a Kindle Touch lightning deal for $45."
It's a Kindle non-touch that's the lightning deal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #45
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Fonts, linespacing and justification

Like a lot of people I succumbed to a $30 T2.

I had completely forgotten how non-configurable the Sony software is.

Is there any way that I can add:
  • better fonts and font sizes
  • justification overrides if the book is left-justified
  • adjust line spacing
  • Adjust left and right margins

These all seem like pretty basic requests. Right now the layout of a typical book is super ugly and unreadable.

Thanks.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote