Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #76
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Going from 9" to 12", if you keep the form factor, the surface area increases by a factor of 1.77, so that means going from 450g to 800g for the device. The 200g cover becomes a 350g cover, so you still go over your ideal 1 kg weight unless you lose the cover.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #77
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Going from 9" to 12", if you keep the form factor, the surface area increases by a factor of 1.77, so that means going from 450g to 800g for the device. The 200g cover becomes a 350g cover, so you still go over your ideal 1 kg weight unless you lose the cover.
No: I hypotesized 200g MORE to keep into account the larger panel, before taking into account the additional weight needed for structural reasons. This, assuming that the 9" panel weighs 200g (and I don't think it's so heavy) means an increase of a factor of 2. On the other hand, the battery (which I assume is the other main reason for the weight of the device) would not need a proportional increase in size and weight. You seem to be assuming that the only thing with a weight in an ereader is the screen.

By the way, the "350g cover" was, in my post, something like a 150g cover + a 150g backplane. Aluminium weighs 2.7g/cm3: so with 300g you can get 111cm3 of it. An A4 sheet of aluminium 1mm thick has a volume of around 30cmx20cmx0.1cm = 60cm3, so with 111cm3 of it you could fit the ereader with a 1mm thick metal backplane and a 0.8mm thick metal cover and still remain within the 1kg limit.

Last edited by BoldlyDubious; 07-06-2011 at 12:03 PM.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #78
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
Anyway as you mentioned I think weight would be a minor issue since you'll always have somewhere to put the reader (at least on your knees) since this device would not have is primary use as nightbook reading.
BTW it seems is still a dream... so bad.... let'g go printing
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #79
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
BTW it seems is still a dream... so bad.... let'g go printing
...or squinting at minuscule characters, and/or cursing at slow and limited zoom-and-pan options :-)
Let's hope that some adventurous manufacturer gets the hint...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #80
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
No: I hypotesized 200g MORE to keep into account the larger panel, before taking into account the additional weight needed for structural reasons.
Quote:
I own a 9" device (Asus), which weighs around 450g without the cover, and 650 with.
I considered the 200g for the cover coming from 650-450.
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #81
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

BTW if any vendor out there wants to sell me his old/new prototype of a 12.1"+ e-ink pearl/triton touch reader at max 1000$ I'm here to buy
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #82
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

...and, if 12" electrophoretic displays scare manufacturers: what about a 12" version of something like Asus' interesting EeeNote (the one with a non-backlit grayscale LCD screen and a Wacom digitizer)?
I would probably accept to live with a battery life of ten hours or so, if that's the price to get a 12" device with a decent screen for reading and precise pen input. (I don't expect to stop missing an electrophoretic display, though.)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #83
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
...and, if 12" electrophoretic displays scare manufacturers: what about a 12" version of something like Asus' interesting EeeNote (the one with a non-backlit grayscale LCD screen and a Wacom digitizer)?
8" to 12" - surface area factor of 2.25
weight 520g to 1170g without cover
battery life 13.5 h to 6 h with wireless off
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #84
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I can think of a few posters that have been waiting for THIS!
Dang, I was thinking 40"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #85
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I want one of these (with a foot switch to change pages) for all my music! No more carrying great bags of dog-eared sheet music around - heaven!!!!
But knowing musicians there would always be one who forgot to recharge the batteries before the gig, or managed to fry the memory.
Oh well, a nice dream.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #86
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I want one of these (with a foot switch to change pages) for all my music! No more carrying great bags of dog-eared sheet music around - heaven!!!!
But knowing musicians there would always be one who forgot to recharge the batteries before the gig, or managed to fry the memory.
Oh well, a nice dream.
I, for one, plan on making that dream a reality at some point.

Also, the weight issue is a non-issue when the huge tablet is sitting on a music stand.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #87
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Oh well, a nice dream.
I'm actually a bit surprised this hasn't evolved as a niche market. Maybe it has. I guess there are applications that run on laptops/desktops that display sheet music.....I'm not very familiar with that market though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #88
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I think size and weight are relative to what it's substituting. A 21" tablet isn't out of the question if that means you don't have to run back and forth to an even larger desktop. If used for sheet music, it would still be lighter than a laptop. The person buying a large tablet would not need it for the same applications of a person in the market for an HTC Flyer or iPad. It's a different niche, and definitely one that's been overlooked.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #89
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
There are plenty of options out there for the software side of displaying (and composing) sheet music digitally. I use Encore, but the market leaders are Sibelius and Finale.

One example where they seem to be trying to bring together the software and the hardware would be:

http://www.musicreader.net/

Given that light needs to be supplied on stages and in orchestra pits, there might be a perceived advantage for backlit devices over eInk, but its certainly a market where a good large size eInk panel at the right price would be really useful.

Note on that MusicReader site that they make the point that annotation is very important for digital music handling. Musos need to make notes during rehearsal.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 07-07-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #90
Koda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Oh well, a nice dream.
There was a prototype at e-ink site if I rember well.