Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
sorcerer13
sorcerer13 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
PRS-600 SYMBOLS IN BOOK TITLES ??

I am using Calibre to transfer my books. I notice that my reader is displaying symbols- such as a square- instead of the letter. e.g. Dead Until Dark shows as Dead Until Dar#---Any ideas???Thanks
sorcerer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a little unclear on what you mean by "PRS-600 symbols".

However, if you're having the problem I think you are, stop over in the calibre forum -- there are a couple of threads about it at the moment. It's just a few boards down from here. In fact, I'll ask the mods to move this thread for you so the right people see it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've moved the thread to the Calibre forum. You're more likely to get help here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A square in the title means that the character is not present in the font. This certainly shouldn't happen for simple alphabetic characters!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer13 View Post
I am using Calibre to transfer my books. I notice that my reader is displaying symbols- such as a square- instead of the letter. e.g. Dead Until Dark shows as Dead Until Dar#---Any ideas???Thanks
This is a bug in writing metadata to PDF files and has been around (see bug report) for at least 6 months.

From the bug report:

Quote:
Kovid:
There is no fix, until the library calibre uses to set metadata in PDF files is fixed.
It seems the last character error was a trade off.

Quote:
Kovid:
calibre used to use pyPDF, but it hangs on updating various PDF files.

Try using calibre to edit the title on the device itself. I seem to recall someone saying this worked for them and I believe being able to edit items on the Sony device from calibre was fixed in the current (0.7.4) release.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If these are PDF files, then the last character being random is a known issue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is a bug in writing metadata to PDF files and has been around (see bug report) for at least 6 months.

From the bug report:

It seems the last character error was a trade off.

Try using calibre to edit the title on the device itself. I seem to recall someone saying this worked for them and I believe being able to edit items on the Sony device from calibre was fixed in the current (0.7.4) release.
I have the same problem w/my PRS900, random characters at the end of titles. Tried editing on device in calibre but it didn't change it on my reader.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
I have the same problem w/my PRS900, random characters at the end of titles. Tried editing on device in calibre but it didn't change it on my reader.
Thanks for the update, I guess you can't edit out the character.

According to the bug report there is no fix, until the library calibre uses to set metadata in PDF files is fixed. This library is developed by another group so there is no estimate on when or if this will be fixed.

If it really bugs you I believe some folk have turned off the PDF metadata writer plugin and used a third party app to write the metadata (title, author etc...) to the PDF files.

Maybe someone can explain your options a little better.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
tponzo
Addict

thanks for the info. I'll wait for the fix.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is actually fixed in 0.7.7
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
tponzo
Addict

thanks, I completely wiped all the books off my reader and resent them. The random characters are now fixed.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is actually fixed in 0.7.7
Excellent!