Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Problem with mobi format

Ok, so here I am thinking I prefer mobi over epub when suddenly while reading two different books in mobi format my device freezes and I have to reset the damn thing. Is this a fault with the mobi format or is it a fault with my PP?

Thanks all!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Ok, so here I am thinking I prefer mobi over epub when suddenly while reading two different books in mobi format my device freezes and I have to reset the damn thing. Is this a fault with the mobi format or is it a fault with my PP?

Thanks all!
Yep!

It can be both. A poorly formatted MOBI and an un-forgiving PEz.

I convert the MOBI (or LIT) to EPUB with Calibre to get around the problem.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The MOBI you're reading could also be DRM'd. I've had my PP freeze on when I tried opening a DRM'd MOBI file.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yep!

It can be both. A poorly formatted MOBI and an un-forgiving PEz.

I convert the MOBI (or LIT) to EPUB with Calibre to get around the problem.
I tried epub... everytime I convert to epub the damn program, whether Calibre or Atlantis Word Processor, only seems to convert half the document. Then I convert it again and it works but when I put it on my PP it never has the correct amount of pages.

I'm having the worst luck with technology at the moment! Maybe I should just convert everything to html or something.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
The MOBI you're reading could also be DRM'd. I've had my PP freeze on when I tried opening a DRM'd MOBI file.
They are mobi's I've transferred from doc format so I know they are not DRM'd.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
I tried epub... everytime I convert to epub the damn program, whether Calibre or Atlantis Word Processor, only seems to convert half the document. Then I convert it again and it works but when I put it on my PP it never has the correct amount of pages.

I'm having the worst luck with technology at the moment! Maybe I should just convert everything to html or something.
You might have some success with eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub).
What format are you converting from? I had an issue going from PDF to epub where not all pages would display on the PP yet Adobe DE would display them all (using Calibre at the time).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
You might have some success with eCub (http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub).
What format are you converting from? I had an issue going from PDF to epub where not all pages would display on the PP yet Adobe DE would display them all (using Calibre at the time).
I'm converting from doc. That's why I'm not using calibre as calibre doesn't do a direct conversion from doc to epub. I'm trying to find something that will.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
A small idea; first save as html the file you want in MS Word, then convert this html file to mobi with calibre; this is how I always do it. I first use MS Word to edit and format my e-book, then save it in html format. Calibre does not have any problems nor the reader after this with the mobi format.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Laura81
Addict

Hi aegeus, I know of that way but I have hundreds of doc files and dread the idea of having to save each one of them in html first and then batch convert to epub or mobi. I just want to be able to batch convert them all from doc directly to epub but I don't think I can.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:

Thanks all!
I'm having a similar problem with the .prc file format.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi aegeus, I know of that way but I have hundreds of doc files and dread the idea of having to save each one of them in html first and then batch convert to epub or mobi. I just want to be able to batch convert them all from doc directly to epub but I don't think I can.
I think part of the problem with DOC is there no single flavor

DOC simply means "document" to us old mainframers . M$ wants you to think that they own and control the DOC format. Ha!
I use open Office 3.1 to do the convert. Do a few at a time. Before you know it, they are done.

Open > Save As > Close
Repeat
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Laura81
Addict

Hey theducks! I ended up with a simple answer! Another member here wrote me a command code or something and I saved it as a dat file and now tada! It batch converts my docs to htmls and then to epubs and all I have to do is double click on the dat files. Love it!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hey theducks! I ended up with a simple answer! Another member here wrote me a command code or something and I saved it as a dat file and now tada! It batch converts my docs to htmls and then to epubs and all I have to do is double click on the dat files. Love it!
Tricks of the trade. Gotta love them.
Nothing beats KISS (Keep it Simple ...)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
MobileWombat
MobileWombat began at the beginning.

Device: omnia i900; Sony PSP; Acer Aspire; A shiny new Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Hi Laura,
would it be possible to get a copy of that code posted? I think it would be very handy for people (especially lazy ones like myself).
Thanks
MobileWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Laura81
Addict

Sure! Here's the code. All credit goes to fellow member frabjous who wrote it. Be aware you need to have AbiWord and Calibre installed to use these codes.

For 64 bit operating system:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
For 32 bit operating system:

Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"