Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Gremlin
Gremlin began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Technical Documentation

Hi all,

I'm choosing an eBook reader for myself and I came across the HanLin v3, which seems to me pretty useful.

My library includes many books of many types, but I'm particularly interested in reading technical staff. As most of you know, this includes PDF and CHM files. I do understand (obviously) that there are some files that cannot be read on such a device (due to screen size, file size etc.). The question is if the majority of them are readable easily?

Can somebody share here his own experience with reading such files on the Hanlin?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the new beta of lbook firmware. I does a reasonable job of reflowing pdfs. For me I am a IT engineer and I create my own pdfs from word docs that I have formated to the screen size of my ezreader. This works great for me. And with ezreader coming out with new firmware hopefully very short l hope.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Hi, Can someone take photo to show me some files displayed in V3,BEBook or Ez Reader. As I discussed there, I don't find the CHM reader on the Hanlin to be very useful (but I only tried a couple of CHM files). As cvkemp says, the addition of mobile Adobe Digital Editions (in place of MobiPocket's Java Reader) on the Hanlins will be a game changer for PDFs. Note, however that this means that "magnification" will mean "reflow" which does not always work. See post #7 in the photos thread for a link to Sony's Windows ebook Reader, which also uses mobile ADE (but an older version).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
I recently bought an Astak EZ Reader, and tried some CHM files on it. The CHMs I have are probably not standard format -- they were converted from multi-page HTML ebooks using a utility (I forget the name). The results in the EZ Reader were very bad. The unit tended to crash when reading them, and sometimes it would try to turn a 200 page book into a 3500 page book with two inch margins on each side of the page. Not good.

Almost any PDF will have to be cropped or converted or specially created with the correct page size. Even then, the EZ Reader has some strange ways of displaying them, but they are readable. The margin cropping function can work fairly well if the original has wide margins. I would expect crashes regularly though. Of course, this might not be true with other firmwares. I've only tried OpenInkpot, which is much more stable and consistent, but doesn't yet support PDF or CHM.
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
if you want to use PDFs, really you need to get one of the 10" readers that are starting to find their way to the market. The 6" screen, as mentioned, has formatting issues. CHM files, you can easily convert. I don't know of really too many readers that support CHM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert