Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
stillbeleevin
stillbeleevin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm ready to listen...

I got my PRS-505 a year and a half ago. I have enjoyed several books in it, but have not been very experimental. After a total burn-out with Adobe customer support for Digital Editions, I am ready to talk with others and get ideas from other digital readers about effectively using e-books. I really dislike the Sony e-books website, and would love to be able to buy books from some of the other sites. So, I'm sure reading existing threads in this forum will give me lots of good ideas.
Stillbeleevin!
stillbeleevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! I wish you had found us sooner and saved yourself such an unsatisfying experience. OK, here's the instructions:

1. Download a book in ePub from anywhere (the "ebooks" link in the blue bar above, Books on Board, Feedbooks, etc) to your computer.

2. Plug in your Sony via the USB port.

3. Open "My Computer" and drag the icon where you downloaded the book to the "my computer" "mobile device" or whatever it is calling your Sony.

Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Welcome! I wish you had found us sooner and saved yourself such an unsatisfying experience. OK, here's the instructions:

1. Download a book in ePub from anywhere (the "ebooks" link in the blue bar above, Books on Board, Feedbooks, etc) to your computer.

2. Plug in your Sony via the USB port.

3. Open "My Computer" and drag the icon where you downloaded the book to the "my computer" "mobile device" or whatever it is calling your Sony.

Enjoy!
Welcome!!

Good advice from DixieGal there.. Don't forget though that you can also read the .lrf books on any of those sites on a Sony Reader as well.

I personally prefer the .lrf formatting (full justification) but it's purely a matter of personal preference (probably worth following DixieGal's advice and trying both ePub and .lrf to see which you prefer).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Welcome!!

Good advice from DixieGal there.. Don't forget though that you can also read the .lrf books on any of those sites on a Sony Reader as well.

I personally prefer the .lrf formatting (full justification) but it's purely a matter of personal preference (probably worth following DixieGal's advice and trying both ePub and .lrf to see which you prefer).
Right, same procedure, whichever format you use. Adobe can be very frustrating to force onto almost any e-reading device, so most of us try to avoid it like the plague. However, with practice, you can learn to fudge most PDF books onto your reader, if you just want the words and don't care how bad it looks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Step 1: Feedbooks

Steps 2-100: Feedbooks.

Extra step for added joy: Feedbooks
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The multiformat books at Fictionwise can be downloaded in as many formats as you want including LRF.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi stillbeleevin and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, stillbeleevin!

There are a lot of great choices other than Adobe. You can download free ebooks here at MR in both the Epub and lrf formats. If you have any problems, just ask, people here are very helpful.

Enjoy and Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hello Stillbeleevin! Welcome to Mobile Read!
Here, you'll have loads of great advice (and those you just got are really good!). Like Dixie said, too bad you didn't find us sooner!
Enjoy the new opportunities of download!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
stillbeleevin

You are all very encouraging!! I can't wait to give it another try.
Thanks. Stillbeleevin.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello stillbeleevin, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome tv.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	31580 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
stillbeleevin

I'm off to a great start. I appreciate all the great suggestions. I am very encouraged - I downloaded an epub book from this website. I put it into Calibre and converted it for my Sony PRS-505 and it transferred over perfectly!! I feel like I have a breakthrough!
Thanks. Stillbeleevin