Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really? That's odd - the Kindle Paperwhite manual clearly states that the light can be switched off. Is the manual incorrect?
When dimming, a long press turns off the light.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When dimming, a long press turns off the light.
Yes, I know, I've read the manual. But the previous poster states as a categorical fact that the light can't be turned off, so he appears to be saying that the information in the manual is incorrect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I know, I've read the manual. But the previous poster states as a categorical fact that the light can't be turned off, so he appears to be saying that the information in the manual is incorrect.
Really, Harry, didn't he post before the manual was available? Or maybe he didn't see the manual? He had some wrong information, I don't think it was malicious or anything.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #49
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Really, Harry, didn't he post before the manual was available? Or maybe he didn't see the manual? He had some wrong information, I don't think it was malicious or anything.

eP
Maybe. But still, he was stating "the light can't be turned off" as if it was a fact - and that is plain wrong.

The statement "I don't think that the light can be turned off" (or so) would have been an entirely different story - and more sensible at the time that it was posted.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #50
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
This is an extract from Amazon.com homepage.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200954000

Adjust the Screen Light

The screen light provides the convenient option to read in low light conditions. Kindle Paperwhite's E Ink display provides a crisp and glare-free reading experience with or without the light.
To use the screen light, select while reading.

Slide your finger along the scale to adjust screen brightness.

Tap and hold the - to turn off the light.

Tap and hold + to turn the light on at maximum brightness.

Tip: A lower setting works best for rooms with low lighting, and a higher setting for rooms with bright lighting.

The video is also nice to watch!
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #51
rainbringer
rainbringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Questions about the software

Hi all,

the model hasn't arrived our country yet, so I can't test it on my own. Yet, I'd like to order it over the net, so I want to clear some important issues to me. I'll appreciate your help:
  1. Can I make an hierarchy of folders in the device, as on PC? For instance, 'Sci-fiction -> Zelazny -> Amber chronicles -> all the books'.
  2. Does it have a Russian interface? Can I add a support for it?
  3. Can I add my own dictionaries? What format is supported?

Thanks!
rainbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #52
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Maybe. But still, he was stating "the light can't be turned off" as if it was a fact - and that is plain wrong.

The statement "I don't think that the light can be turned off" (or so) would have been an entirely different story - and more sensible at the time that it was posted.
I have a KPW. The light CANNOT be turned off. If you press and hold the - symbol it goes totally down to zero but the leds are still dimly on and in a dark room there is still a slight glow visible.

Hence, based on my observation of my unit, the manual is wrong or perhaps defines "off" as "dim enough not to matter."
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #53
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
What Stingo said, the light CAN NOT BE TURNED OFF. Tap and - just immediately switches it to the lowest setting which is not off. It is a fact ixtab and just plain right.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
ixtab posted before the Paperwhites were released and, going by what we knew then, he wasn't wrong. It was the Kindle user guide that was wrong.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
Unless someone with expertise in optics can correct me, I'd assume that adding a uniform light source to any surface would result in a uniform reflectance across all regions. The blacks and the whites would both reflect 100% more light if you increased the front light by 100%.
White things reflect more light that black things.
Black things absorb more light than white things.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote