Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
starsy
starsy will become famous soon enoughstarsy will become famous soon enoughstarsy will become famous soon enoughstarsy will become famous soon enoughstarsy will become famous soon enoughstarsy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Lightbulb Image Viewer: An extension for GUI Launcher on Kindle Touch 5.1

Webpage: Kindle-Touch--Image-Viewer

An extension for GUI Launcher on Kindle Touch: Image Viewer

Prerequisite:

Kindle Touch w/ Firmware 5.1.0
Installation:

Jailbreak Kindle Touch (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method)
Install GUI Launcher (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher)
Download this extension as a zip/tgz file (https://github.com/starsy/Kindle-Tou...zipball/master)
Unpack it into the "extensions" directory on mounted Kindle removable drive
Create an "images" directory on mounted Kindle removable drive
Usage:

Put image files under the "images" directory
"Menu" -> "Launcher" -> "Launch Image Viewer" to view images
No copyright, you can use it, modify it or redistribute it freely.

Yang Song

http://twitter.com/songyang
http://weibo.com/starsy2

URL: http://starsy.github.com/Kindle-Touch--Image-Viewer/

starsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You could remove the start.sh and the bin directory by setting the action in the menu.json to:
Code:
"/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.imageviewer"
And you forgot to mention that this only LAUNCHES the imageviewer app which is written by lab126 (amazon).

It's a bit over-hyped, what with the website and all

Attaching the simplified version
Attached Files
File Type: gz image_viewer.tar.gz (486 Bytes, 499 views)

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
After I installed your new launcher menu add on using the instructions above, I had to restart three times before it finally showed up in the launcher menu. ???

Touching the top of the screen gets you a settings menu with no launcher menu. Is there a way to navigate back to the list of photos without needing to start over at the home menu?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Attaching the simplified version
Yes, it is a lot simpler to call built-in apps directly from the menu.

But still, thanks for the effort starsy. It is a good place to start. I gave you 500 karma points to encourage more from you.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I was thinking the same thing...is there a way to move from one image to the next/previous without going back to the image list?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder which Firmware version will this be an official feature in. It doesn't seem to be just an app, more like another mode of the home screen. Well, I hope they don't come up with a DRM for the png format too
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru

@silver18
I may not be the first person realizing this, but if you put the images in a subfolder of /mnt/us/images, it will be treated as a book i.e the folder will show up as a single item, and when clicked the first image will be opened and you can scroll by using the "easy reach tap zones". The images will be scrolled in alphabetical order.

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-14-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
@silver18
I may not be the first person realizing this, but if you put the images in a subfolder of /mnt/us/images, it will be treated as a book i.e the folder will show up as a single item, and when clicked the first image will be opened and you can scroll by using the "easy reach tap zones". The images will be scrolled in alphabetical order.
That is good to know. On the K4, I put my PNG files that I wanted in a collection into a ZIP file. On the K4, each file in /mnt/us/images seems to be in a collection by itself with no scrolling. The subfolder should help a lot. Your discovery makes this a lot more useful. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru

I spent the last six months looking for pdf comics and found only the images. Now I am only able to find the pdfs and not the images
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
I spent the last six months looking for pdf comics and found only the images. Now I am only able to find the pdfs and not the images
It is always a lot easier to find what you are NOT looking for, isn't it?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
@silver18
Thanks a lot!!
I tried it but it isn't really what I'm looking for.
It doesn't have the possibility to add bookmarks, to jump to a page or to zoom the image...
I hope they fix it in the next firmware!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
aditya3098
Guru

I just found out that there is a new collection on my home screen called images which takes me to the images screen when taped. I wonder when that came on?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
I just found out that there is a new collection on my home screen called images which takes me to the images screen when taped. I wonder when that came on?
I just checked, and mine has the images folder too. Clicking an image file displays it, so the launchpad add-on is redundant and is not needed.

Interesting -- and I thought that they removed that feature. I guess I need to RTFM here...

What we need is a simple and reliable way to trigger the collection of photos to get indexed without waiting overnight for it to get around to doing that on its own.

UPDATE: When viewing an image after tapping an image file in the images folder, you can navigate to another image by touching the top of the screen to see the menu, then the back button (left arrow) to go back to the list of image files.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
And if you have a subfolder with a collection of pics in the image folder, as already described as well, you can "tap through" the collection of pics in this folder like a book.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
And if you have a subfolder with a collection of pics in the image folder, as already described as well, you can "tap through" the collection of pics in this folder like a book.
I see that putting the images in a .zip file still works like on the K4 as well.

My /mnt/us/images folder contains "pics.zip", and that zip file shows up in my documents with a "44 items" comment.

Clicking the zip file shows my pictures (about 20 seconds to open my zip file with 44 photos), and I can tap through the collection. I do not need a subfolder.

That means that we can view comic book files by renaming them from *.cbz to *.zip.

Although zip-file collections may be easier to put on the kindle, subfolders are probably faster to access, but zip-renamed comic books are probably easier to keep organized by keeping them zipped, and just live with the slow initial loading of the picture viewer when it is used with zip files.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.