Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which cloud service are you preferring?
Amazon Web Services 11 11.96%
iCloud 6 6.52%
DropBox 53 57.61%
Sugarsync 7 7.61%
Skydrive 2 2.17%
Did I miss your one? Don't forget to submit a reply! 13 14.13%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Right now I would have voted for none. I just have no trust of putting my files anywhere that may not be there tomorrow. I'm pretty much set in my ways and just prefer to have my backups where I can touch or see them. This poll really needed a None option as well.
They're nifty concepts, but I agree. I don't have much faith in these "clouds." I'd have voted for "none."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You missed my one: my personal web/data server. I simply don't trust those sites with my data. They can all say they won't read/watch/whatever it, but I can't check it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Right now I would have voted for none. I just have no trust of putting my files anywhere that may not be there tomorrow. I'm pretty much set in my ways and just prefer to have my backups where I can touch or see them. This poll really needed a None option as well.
I agree.

Cloud storage isn't something I feel I can trust in the long run.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
This.

I work with cloud data enough in my work to know I dont want any part of it for my own information.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I vote for none.

I don't trust what can happen to your files (not just books) or how it can be used (against you).
In the US there are legal hoops that must be jumped before agencies can grab your data.

Companies knuckle under at a drop of a hat.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I like Sugarsync, but it still needs some work. The best feature of Sugarsync is that you can sync any folder on your computer, rather than just the "Dropbox" folder. For instance, I don't want to move the location of my documents into the Dropbox folder, or use the various workarounds like moving My documents into Dropbox with a shortcut where the folder used to be. So instead, when I use dropbox, I've been copying folders into the Dropbox folder, which takes up double the space on my hard drive. (This may be a stupid thing to do, and it is cumbersome.. every time I add something I have to copy the new stuff into Dropbox again).

I'd happily use Sugarsync for everything, but unfortunately, Sugarsync has some issues to iron out. Chief among them for my purposes is that the Sugarsync iphone app "Open in..[Stanza, Bluefire, Kobo]" feature only works with certain iphone apps like Kindle and iBooks. I've posted on the Sugarsync forums to try to get a fix for this.. if it does get fixed I'm sticking to sugarsync completely. I can use the Copy Link feature in Sugarsync to open books in Stanza, but bluefire/kobo etc. don't have that feature, and Stanza is apparently going to stop working when I finally upgrade to iOS5...

Last edited by seajewel; 10-14-2011 at 12:37 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
The only cloud service I use is the Google Music beta. It's convenient to listen to my CDs from my computer at work. Since it's all my CDs, it isn't a big deal if it all disappears.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm on Dropbox for our eBook library and really have no reason to change off of that because it works so well with Calibre. With referrals, I've built up about 14GB of free space so far and have more than enough room.
WOW!! I had to stop Dropbox, because I didn't have enough space. I have 4G, and was breaking up my Calibre library in order to fit it (no romance books, no already read (even though there isn't a book attached there), no mystery and suspense) which defeated the purpose of the library. The books I read for pleasure are the equivalent of junk food, and they stay with me just as long. If I don't have them all in one place, I might buy/check-out the same book twice.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
WOW!! I had to stop Dropbox, because I didn't have enough space. I have 4G, and was breaking up my Calibre library in order to fit it (no romance books, no already read (even though there isn't a book attached there), no mystery and suspense) which defeated the purpose of the library. The books I read for pleasure are the equivalent of junk food, and they stay with me just as long. If I don't have them all in one place, I might buy/check-out the same book twice.
If you have access to a .edu email account they double your referral bonus space.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Voted iCloud but happily using Skydrive for much longer now.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #26
wgwood
Camping Fool
wgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color w/CM 7.2
Another cloud backup service just went live yesterday. It's called Backify, and offers 512GB for free. Link.

I have no affiliation with them.

Here is a review. Link.

Seems that if you want to have it behave like Drop Box, it will cost $5 per month for the "Briefcase" and also comes with an unlimited backup size.

I prefer my backups to be on media that I possess. On that note, Staples has a great price on a WD 1TB portable hard drive. $69.99. Link.

I just ordered one.

Regards,
Greg
wgwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I only used DropBox for basically forever, but now I'm trying to spread things out over multiple accounts in case one dies on me. Right now I've got DropBox, SugarSync, and Ubuntu One, and I think I've got an Amazon Cloud account as well.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #28
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I use Dropbox, mostly for school and journalism stuff. I've got it synced up between my desktop, netbook, and phone. It works great and it has made my life drastically easier.

But I do not now, and probably will not ever, use it for personal files. Sorry, but I don't trust any cloud, even one I'm running myself, with that kind of information. That stuff lives offline, on my external harddrive.

I also back up everything on Dropbox on my external HDD, with the rest of my backups. While Dropbox is a great convenience, like you said, it is an external service and it could go down at any time. So I make sure that should that happen, I have all my content stored elsewhere.

For me, a cloud service will never replace physical backups. That's just asking for trouble. The cloud's primary purpose in my life is to smooth out my work-flow.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-14-2011 at 07:06 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I only use Dropbox and Amazon.

I prefer Dropbox because I keep my entire ebook library on there.
I can download a book straight from my Kindle or use my phone to email a book to my Kindle so I don't have to be near a PC to get a book from my ebook library.

I now use Amazon's cloud for music and their new Personal Documents cloud for my books on my Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
We use an external harddrive to have a constant backup of everything. Dropbox has been a USB drive replacement for me. If I need to transfer a file between PC's, I throw it on there long enough to upload from one, download from the other, and then remove it from Dropbox. Even then, I'd still use a USB if I had to transfer anything with personal information.

I also "use" Amazon cloud storage. I still download all of my purchases to my PC, but if they're giving me the option to leave a copy in their cloud for free....why not? Haven't uploaded anything to it though & most likely won't in the future.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, data, data in the cloud, documents in the cloud, library, mobile, online storage, personal, virtual storage