Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #451
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Funnily enough no-one has ever requested this as a feature. The "assumption" has always been (based on the requirements of those who requested shelves as tags in the first place, not something I use myself) that the user has created shelves on Goodreads.

So there is no way currently to automate this. You can either create the shelves on the Goodreads website, and then refresh the shelves list for the plugin. Or you can use the plugin configuration screen to create the shelves.

As to whether I would consider adding support for creating them on the fly - the answer at this point is "maybe". It has been a long time since I changed this plugin and off the top of my head I don't know if the complications of supporting such a feature would make it too much work. After all the plugin has been out for 18 months and of all the thousands of users you are the only one who has requested it .
Can I help it if the others lack imagination

I understand, thanks though. I guess I'll just create them manually though I would recommend changing the label name on the menu item. As is, it sounds as though it already does what I'm requesting. Took me a little while to realize that I was doing it correctly and it simply didn't' work as I expected.

If you ever do add this feature I'll throw a few extra dollars your way. Maybe now that I've requested it others will think it a good idea too.

Thanks again.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #452
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have a custom column in calibre that cotains the last date a book was read on my Kindle based on this post. I cannot select this column for use in the Goodreads Sync plugin for the Date Read column. Is there any way to do so or am I SOL?

The column and relevant function are defined as:
Spoiler:

Last edited by razorsoup; 01-04-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #453
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You cannot use template based columns with this plugin, because it expects that users have the ability to update the date read value on the screen. You would have to create a new custom column that is of type date, and use bulk search and replace to copy values from your template based column to the date time column, and then do your Goodreads updates.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #454
sondr3
sondr3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Keybard
This has probably been asked before but I've had this problem for about a month now. I've been trying to sync my account with Goodreads and have used both my username (same as this) and email address and yet everytime I try to authenticate I get nothing but my normal frontpage. I've disabled all of my plugins, cleared my cache, tested in both Chrome and Safari and yet I never get that Allow access popup. I thought that it may could've been the Goodreads API in the beginning but I've had this problem day out and day in everyday. Am I missing something really obvious or is something not working?

Last edited by sondr3; 01-04-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo
sondr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #455
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sondr3 - the authentication is working, at least it was for me just now using Chrome.

All I did was:
(1) I was signed into goodreads correctly with my web browser open. You don't "have" to do this first since you would get asked to sign in if you omit this step.
(2) Since I knew my account was already authenticated, I clicked on my user name on the website, chose "Edit Profile", clicked on the "apps" tab, scrolled down the bottom of the page and revoked access for the "no application" entry (which represents this plugin). If you have never successfully authorised this step does not apply.
(3) In calibre brought up the configuration page for this plugin and clicked on the Authorise button.
(4) That displayed the webpage I expected in Chrome where you have a button to allow access for the plugin which I clicked
(5) Back in calibre I clicked on the "Yes" in response to the prompt confirming I have clicked Allow on the web page

That is it. From now on if I got back in the website via Edit Profile/apps I can see the "no application" entry appearing at the bottom of the page as an authorised application, and adding books to shelves etc just works...
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #456
razorsoup
Enthusiast

Quote:
You cannot use template based columns with this plugin, because it expects that users have the ability to update the date read value on the screen. You would have to create a new custom column that is of type date, and use bulk search and replace to copy values from your template based column to the date time column, and then do your Goodreads updates.
So, if I understand correctly, the plugin needs a column that can be manually updated so it needs a regular, non-template based column. That's not ideal for what I'm trying to do but at least it's a fairly simple work around.

Another question: Would it be possible to add support for syncing a column with the Progress field in Goodreads?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #457
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Correct, a manual non-template based column must be used. Template based columns are read-only and have no data types, which make them too complicated for the effort required to support them - and you are the first person in two years of this plugin to mention it

As for Progress - I don't see that available from Goodreads. Not on the review screen, and not in the API results.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #458
razorsoup
Enthusiast

Quote:
Correct, a manual non-template based column must be used. Template based columns are read-only and have no data types, which make them too complicated for the effort required to support them - and you are the first person in two years of this plugin to mention it

As for Progress - I don't see that available from Goodreads. Not on the review screen, and not in the API results.
Goodreads API apparently calls it "user status". http://www.goodreads.com/api#user_status.create What I'm talking about specifically is the "user_status[percent]: percent complete (use instead of page if appropriate)" item.

This is another piece of information that I pull from the Kindle and it would be nice if I could send it to Goodreads easily.

Last edited by razorsoup; 01-08-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #459
sondr3
sondr3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Keybard
Quote:
@sondr3 - the authentication is working, at least it was for me just now using Chrome.

*snip*

That is it. From now on if I got back in the website via Edit Profile/apps I can see the "no application" entry appearing at the bottom of the page as an authorised application, and adding books to shelves etc just works...
Yeah, I've done this a bunch of times in both Chrome and Safari and emptied all of the cache and cookies and stuff. I've yet to see any form of popup to allow me to authorise the app nor is it listed under the Apps tab in my profile. I did have it authenticated once earlier but I revoked the access a few months back because I couldn't remember what it was for. Never been able to get it to work again.
sondr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #460
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@sondr3 - all I can suggest is contacting Goodreads support, or trying from a different PC. You only need to get the Goodreads side sorted out - after that is done you can just "lie" on your main PC and tell the plugin you have authorised already when that confirmation dialog appears on the plugin. Functionally the plugin code is working fine, so the issue lies either with something on your machine or something with your Goodreads account.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #461
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
OK, first things first: Thanks so much kiwidude for this and the GoodReads metadata plugin. I should have been using them both at least a year ago. I'm stunned at what you did when you weren't even using GoodReads!

I've spent a good part of the last couple of days reading all the posts in this thread. I got through 5 pages before I finally figured out that I couldn't do what I wanted because I'd only installed the metadata plugin, not the sync plugin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I want to create shelves in Goodreads based on my tags,
Quote:
Funnily enough no-one has ever requested this as a feature. The "assumption" has always been (based on the requirements of those who requested shelves as tags in the first place, not something I use myself) that the user has created shelves on Goodreads.
@mfaine: Do you already have these books in GoodReads? If not, I know I've seen somewhere a Calibre plugin that exports to CSV, and you can import the CSV file to GoodReads. I confess I haven't a clue what happens if you try to do that with existing books - but I used the CSV upload a lot when I added my physical library to GR, and I'm sure it had some merging ability, but that would likely have worked better with me just tweaking the CSV and reloading it than it might with data that is likely quite different between GR and Calibre. Try it with just one record, first! (and export your GR collection as CSV before you start, so that you can restore it if it is a disaster).

@kiwidude: Though I haven't seen much argument in this thread, I believe you've made a couple of invalid assumptions about shelves. First, a few times I've seen you mention using GoodRead's "genres". Actually, GR doesn't really have genres. Even though you can set a "genre" when adding/editing a book's details, that value is never, iirc, used anywhere. What you see on the http://www.goodreads.com/genres page is, in fact, just some of the values users have used for shelving books (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ng-genre-pages). If you click on the "More genres…" link, it becomes pretty obvious. Secondly, you frequently seem surprised that people would have large numbers of shelves. I have 35 - and I'm pretty sure that's a very small number amongst GR users (I'm pretty sure there's a way to find stats like that, but I haven't figured it out yet). It certainly follows from the explanation of genres that most users will shelve every book on at least one non-exclusive shelf (and even though you seem to only bother with "read", everybody automatically gets the "to-read", "read" and "currently-reading" exclusive shelves).

I expect nobody else has asked to "create" shelves from calibre tags because it's an irregular requirement - once for a bunch of shelves when we get started, then hardly ever again. It's certainly not a priority item for me, but if we could create shelves from the plugin, I'd certainly use it. Probably, it wouldn't be necessary for a single book: an option to browse through the list of GR tags (or actually their mapped Shelves) and ensure that there is a GR shelf for each (shelves.list & user_shelves.create) would be nice.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #462
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
@auspex Yes, I've tried it but it has been a while back, and if I recall correctly, if the books are already present the goodreads site, it tries to help you match them up and, with only a few exceptions, it can usually do it.

I still found it to cumbersome and time consuming to do regularly. To me, shelves are analogous to tags in Calibre, others may disagree but that is how I see it and how I use it. Two-way sync would be the best for me because I could then manage all of my books in Calibre and just sync those changes to goodreads all at once. However, I may occasionally be on the site and change the rating on a book or the shelving. It would really nice if the goodreads sync plugin in calibre could notice this and update Calibre accordingly. This is just pie-in-the-sky though, I'd be thrilled if I could only create shelves from my tags.
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #463
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
@mfaine I'm only suggesting you do this to get the shelf created initially - otherwise, we do have two-way syncing, as long as the shelf actually exists.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #464
pachobv
pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePaperwhite
Im getting an error when i try to install the plugin help please!!!

This is the message i get:

calibre, version 0.9.14
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>InvalidPlugin</b>:The plugin in u'/Users/Frank/Downloads/Goodreads Sync.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 310, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 362, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 160, in load
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 255, in _locate_code
InvalidPlugin: The plugin in u'/Users/Frank/Downloads/Goodreads Sync.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file
pachobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #465
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@pachobv - try turning off your antivirus.

Tags
calibre, goodreads