Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Godwin, Tom: Space Prison (org. title: The Survivors) v1. 15 Apr 07

Here is a SF public domain book called Space Prison and it's by Tom Godwin. The original title was The Survivors, which suits the story better.

Basically the evil Gerns wreak havoc on everyone and cast away a small colony of humans on a very inhospitable planet to fend for themselves. The quest for revenge helps the humans make the most of their situation.

One of the earlier e-books that I read on the Sony Reader. It's really a great, fun read. I went old-school with the cover painting--bow and arrow, rocket ship and mean beasts. What's not to love about this book?

Also, I think it's my best book cover painting so far. The watercolor original is now framed and hanging up on my office wall. Enjoy!

Edit by HarryT: 17th Apr 07

Sorry - I've temporarily removed the attached book until we resolve its copyright status. We'll put it back again if it proves to be OK. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Edit by HarryT: 18th Apr 07

Sounds like the book's OK, so I've put it back!

Last edited by Patricia; 04-06-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: moved to US server.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
GORGEOUS!

And you have the indents going!

I love your artwork. It's such a pleasure to look at your work. I'm in awe by your vision and talent. Thank you.

don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Thanks Don. I fixed the indents on the Frankenstein file just now as well. Sorry for the delay, but it took me forever to get it right. Actually, the painting of the covers sometimes goes faster than formatting the text to display correctly!!

I got it all figured out now. I think.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
tsgreer,
I believe that Space Prison (Published in 1960, The Survivors in 1958) may still be in copyright. I know it was on Gutenburg Project for a while but has apparently been removed. BTW it is one of my favorites.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I have sent a message to Greg Weeks. He definitely knows all about the copyright status of that book.

Best contact him directly if the books are not available from Project Gutenberg.
Even better only use PG books and get all other free books to PG first. Greg handles the copyright clearance process so you do not steal his time.

Last edited by Robert Marquard; 04-17-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've temporarily removed the book attachment until we get this resolved. We'll put it back if it proves to be OK. Apologies to tsgreer and everyone else for the inconvenience.

Robert - could you let either myself or Alex know if you hear anything, please, and we'll either put the book back, or delete this thread, as appropriate.

Thanks!

Last edited by HarryT; 04-17-2007 at 09:16 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
tsgreer,
I believe that Space Prison (Published in 1960, The Survivors in 1958) may still be in copyright. I know it was on Gutenburg Project for a while but has apparently been removed. BTW it is one of my favorites.
This hasn't ever been on Project Gutenberg. Some of the other book sites have picked it up from DP, but it hasn't finished at DP yet. Baen has the complete text available on their site if you just want to read it.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
So the book itself is copyright cleared (or Greg would not have touched it on DP).
So only the question remains if the source of the posted text was copyrighted.

The best solution would be to wait for the book to be posted to PG and then redo it from the HTML. Alternatively pick up the unfinished text from DP.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If tsgreer can let me know if he got it from DP (where presumably it will have been copyright cleared), I'll put the attachment back. Sorry to act "pre-emptively" on this, but we need to be careful about these things!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
tsgreer

Hi all, actually I got it from manybooks.net and I thought mentioned something about their research showing that the copyright had not been renewed. Should we always wait for PG? I've noticed that they don't have everything that is copyright-free simply because there is such a vast amount.

I pretty much go back and forth between PG and Manybooks. Sorry for the confusion!! I was just sooo excited when I saw Space Prison was available (or so I thought).

Well darn, that would be TWO copyright mistakes I have made! Grrrr... Sorry. I promise no more issues...
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Not to worry Travis. There is a learning curve for all of us here, and it has been very educational for me to see the discussion unfold. We do want to get it right, and it's good for Harry to take action, but I think this sort of thing is going to be fairly common for us, just as these are probably very common discussions at PG. Par for the course, so to speak. It's not the first, nor will it be the last, and I know we all appreciate both those who are formatting books for us, and those who are helping us understand how to figure out the copyright issues.

Harry -- As long as Travis doesn't mind, maybe it's a good idea to keep this thread in place however it turns out because it's a good reference point, and provides some nice history on the issue for those who discover it later.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Don't sweat it too much, Travis, this copyright stuff can be a reall Gordian Knot sometimes -- besides, you can only make errors if you're actually doing something, so all this really does is indicate that you're not just sitting on your duff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If it's on "manybooks", Travis, that's good enough for me! I've left the attachment at work, but either I can put it back tomorrow morning, or you can re-upload it yourself, whichever you prefer. Apologies again for the hassle - we all have to be cautious about these things until we figure out what's allowable and what's not. I'm not picking on you, honest .
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
tsgreer

Hey Harry, no worries, thanks for staying on top of it. Yeah, I got it from Manybooks and they seem to be really good about their research. I'm not familiar with "DP," can you clarify for me? I know PG is Project Gutenberg, but I can't figure out the DP.

Hopefully we get to put it back up because it really is a great book. Thanks for everyone paying such close attention!

Last edited by tsgreer; 04-17-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
DP=Distributed Proofreaders
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote