Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Kobo Software Update 2.5

Looks like there is an update available tonight for 2.5.

I plugged my device into my PC and used the Kobo Desktop to get the update.

Improvements:
1) Read fixed layout EPUBs
2) Experience our improved Bookstore
3) Benefit from bug fixes.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like the update broke Calibre.

I cannot side load epubs anymore.

---------------
Other changes I noticed.

With PDF and CBR files, instead of a black contrast when resizing/moving around the page, there's a more of an outline now.

Last edited by RZetlin; 04-16-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That's hardly reassuring...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post

I cannot side load epubs anymore.
How did it break? Did you get a message about unsupported firmware? If so, follow the instructions in the message - open the driver config and select the "Support newer firmware" option and then try again.

If you are getting another error message, can you please take a copy and post it. Maybe PM it to me so I can tell.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
oooh anyone got a direct link?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
Multiple fonts simultaneously garbled in 2.3, 2.4 firmware, now resolved yet?
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi friends !

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french... is there something new in firmware 2.5 about :

- "night mode" (i mean white text on dark background) ?

- the possibilty to reduce the brightness under the default limit (i find that the kobo glo is too bright when i read in a totally dark room and and i'd like to go under the factory limit, the best way is to have the choice between 0% and 100% power for leds) ?

Last edited by akorx; 04-16-2013 at 05:01 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Desktop 3.2.1 has been released.

An installed 3.2.0 isn't automatically being upgraded.

I'm updating the Direct Links to firmware thread, as info comes in.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
RZetlin
Addict

Update 2.5 brings a new issue when viewing PDFs.

When moving the a PDF document around the screen using the resize and move function, it leaves a ghosting after image. The screen doesn't seen to refresh properly.

The workaround for this is to go to settings->reading settings->page refresh.
Change the default from Refresh the screen every 6 pages to 1 page.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Mac client not updated to 3.2.1 yet, still 3.2.0, no new firmware for UK with 3.2.1, 3.2.0 or wireless sync.

Hoping someone posts the direct link as want to see if battery reporting issue has been fixed.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Change log?

Does Kobo ever publish a full change log for these updates? I'd like to see an official comment on the battery drain issue before installing another largely untested update.

I sometimes have the feeling that I could take the entire beta test team out for lunch, and still get change back from a $50.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Desktop 3.2.1 has been released.

An installed 3.2.0 isn't automatically being upgraded.

I'm updating the Direct Links to firmware thread, as info comes in.
Thankyou Have upgraded the desktop!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How did it break? Did you get a message about unsupported firmware? If so, follow the instructions in the message - open the driver config and select the "Support newer firmware" option and then try again.

If you are getting another error message, can you please take a copy and post it. Maybe PM it to me so I can tell.
The exact error message is:

Quote:
Kobo database version unsupported:

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Your suggestion seem to bypass this issue.

Though I wait for an update for calibre.

------
Update
Looks like the metadata isn't working correctly.

I updated a book coverpage in cailbre, but this change is not reflected on the device.

Last edited by RZetlin; 04-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Davidfor: Sent you a db off line; version is now 77
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
The exact error message is:

Your suggestion seem to bypass this issue.

Though I wait for an update for calibre.
Good, rhat is what I expecedAnd looking at the database PeterT sent me (thanks Peter) there won't be a problem. I'll have the driver updated to handle it this week.

Quote:
------
Update
Looks like the metadata isn't working correctly.

I updated a book coverpage in cailbre, but this change is not reflected on the device.
What exactly did you do? If you update the cover in calibre and resend the book, the cover should get changed. But, with 2.4.0, sometimes it didn't if the book was on the home page. Powering off and on would reload the latest cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote