Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hangup on boot with firmware v1.1.708 ?

Hi,

I just updated to the new build 708 firmware about a week ago. Since then I've had two, maybe three hangups during boot: the very first bootscreen (the one with the Cybook on it ) would just stay on screen and the LED would be permanently on. It stays that way for at least 5 minutes, so I'm pretty sure it's not just a longer boottime. The device unfreezes after hitting the Reset-button and powering back on, but still, this is pretty annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can this be tied to the new firmware or is it caused by something else?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

I've had the problem once since updating to the new firmware (2 weeks ago).
I never had it before the upgrade, but I used the Cybook for only two weeks before upgrading the firmware, it's not long enough to be very significant.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
I had it happened to me twice already with the new firmware after a long period of stability with the previous version. For me both times were when I did not shut the Cybook up manually but rather let the auto power off to come on after 15 minutes.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Same in that it's happened two or three times to me, after the device auto-shut off. Reset has fixed it each time, of course, but it's a bit odd.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwt View Post
I had it happened to me twice already with the new firmware after a long period of stability with the previous version. For me both times were when I did not shut the Cybook up manually but rather let the auto power off to come on after 15 minutes.
I haven't noticed *that* situation arise, but I *am* experiencing occasional boot-up freezes w/Build708.

And to be clear, this is occurring on the Netronix EB-100 as my Cybook Gen3 (64MB model) is still wallowing at Build538 - Mom won't relinquish it long enough for me to sneak on Build708!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

OK, so the new firmware does seem to be the cause, that's a relief.

By the way, I've disabled the auto poweroff on my Cybook, so it can't be that.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never happened to me.

Have you checked the integrity of the file systems?

Any response from Bookeen when you reported it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
It has happened to me about 3 times since upgrading (and I've never seen it before). I also sometimes get the popup menu over the page when I bring up a book from the library just after a boot.

This makes me hypothesis that there may be some issues with the event queue and there may be some garbage in the queue that's taken for an event during booting.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Had it happen once. Thought the power had just gotten too low without my noticing. Recharged but still had to reboot. This was after a few weeks with 708. Never with older builds.

Last edited by slayda; 07-08-2008 at 01:23 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you checked the integrity of the file systems?
Just did. System memory is fine, SD card had one glitch, though I can't imagine that's what caused the hangups- the library does get indexed at the second boot screen, as far as I know.

Quote:
Any response from Bookeen when you reported it?
Well, I didn't report it yet, because I didn't know whether or not this was a new error. So.. obviously no response

EDIT: Oh, and in case this might help: It's one of the small internal memory Cybooks.

EDIT 2: I was just wondering if anybody tried reinstalling the new firmware? Is this even possible?

Last edited by Manichean; 07-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

New Symptom: While now it boots flawlessly, I've twice found that the Cybook showed the library screen, and when I tried to open the last read book, it would just go straight into the second boot screen again (reindexing the library?) before popping back to the library. After that all books can be opened normally. I've encountered this behaviour twice so far, is this in some way related to the abovementioned problem?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may very well have a corrupt book file. Try removing the books from the device, then putting them back one at a time and see if the problem recurrs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I have not experience this in any of the versions of the firmware - and I have the last one now.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Happened here aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
You may very well have a corrupt book file. Try removing the books from the device, then putting them back one at a time and see if the problem recurrs.
I'll try as soon as I have time. Thanks for the help so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Happened here aswell.
That's actually good to know

Tags
boot, firmware, freeze, hang, update