Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Is 3g worth 50?

Just wondering As I just picked up the wifi version. Some have said I should take it back and opt for the 3g. $50 seems like a lot for that type of access. I guess it is free? But is it that much more useful? wifi is not a huge issue for me as I have a router at home, and at work. So is the $50 worth it?
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I would say no. I mean, bottom line its for reading ebooks on. Why do you need an always on connection if your just reading books.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I think that paying extra for the 3G version is very well worthwhile. One is not always in range of a WiFi network, and 3G delivery of books works beautifully. Also, the 3G gives you (depending where you live, of course), free, almost world-wide, web browsing. OK, it's not the world's greatest web browser, but it's plenty good enough for many purposes.

I am very pleased that I bought the 3G Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
For me, NO.

I have my iphone if I want to browse the web, and while I don't always have wifi for book delivery, it's just a case of making sure you have your current read plus 1 or 2 more on the device already and you won't be unable to read waiting for a wifi network.

If I'm going on holiday, then I make sure I stack up more books ahead of time.

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
In my case, I don't have wifi at home, so 3G is very important to me and well worth the extra $50. Since you have wifi at home and work, you'll do fine without 3G. It may be very handy if you travel a lot, so that is something to consider.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I think that paying extra for the 3G version is very well worthwhile. One is not always in range of a WiFi network, and 3G delivery of books works beautifully. Also, the 3G gives you (depending where you live, of course), free, almost world-wide, web browsing. OK, it's not the world's greatest web browser, but it's plenty good enough for many purposes.

I am very pleased that I bought the 3G Kindle.
I bought two Kindles; each with 3G and I have already used it to check my email, while travelling.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
fidjit
fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Even if you travel overseas once for a couple of day it's worth it.

I've got 1 wifi and 1 wifi/3g.

About 2 months after buying had an unexpected 10 day work trip to the US ( from Aus ). Definitely got my extra $50 worth checking email, surfing web and using VOIP suppliers website to send SMS.........

Can't even think how much it would have cost if I'd used Tel$tra's atrocious international roaming fees.........

Yes could have just used my phone while travelling around with wifi , but the Kindle was very convenient while on the bus/tram etc where no wifi was available......

Last edited by fidjit; 02-21-2011 at 05:46 AM.
fidjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
JerryinOCMD
Enthusiast
JerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enoughJerryinOCMD will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I was on the fence, and could probably get along fine without the 3G, but for $50 I'm still happy that it's there if I should need it.
JerryinOCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
If $50 is a lot of money to you and you have wifi at home, than no. If $50 doesn't seem like a lot of money to you, then yes, it's decent insurance, because there's no monthly subscription fee to use the 3G.

It's a good deal when you consider the Kindle 2 sold for the same price before it was shelved, and it didn't have wifi at all.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
...ot for that type of access. I guess it is free? But is it that much more useful? ...

3G is never free.... it is a wireless connection which uses mobile phone networks...you always need a loaded SIM to connect (prepaid/PAYG possible) . In Holiday your current provider will bill you big time, when using data-volume roaming.

A simple 3G Dongle from any provider sells for 15Pound, and if *any* device has a USB port, it is likely you can use it on it.
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by readit View Post
3G is never free.... it is a wireless connection which uses mobile phone networks...you always need a loaded SIM to connect (prepaid/PAYG possible) . In Holiday your current provider will bill you big time, when using data-volume roaming.
Wrong. Kindle's 3G is 100% free worldwide. You are never charged for using it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Sounds like you answered the question yourself
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If $50 dollars is something you can spare easily or spend without having to consult your budget, then yes... it's probably worth it. Otherwise, no. Emergency, unplanned book purchases where there is no wireless (or a computer connected to the internet) are pretty rare IMO.

It all depends on what $50 means to you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Short answer: NO. I d prefer having WI-FI on my DXG instead of 3G. 3G is completely worthless to me. You can always have a couple of extra books to read on your device in case of emergency )) And as far as Internet browser is concerned, my cheap cell phone can check emails or weather much better )) Well, its IMHO of course.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote