Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Send popup messages?

Hi all,

Is there any way, any app, whereby I can send a message of some kind to a Fire and have a pop alert displayed?

That is, I'm looking for a way that if I get a text or IM or whatever, an alert will pop up even if I'm, say, watching a video, or I'm intently focused on critical shot in Angry Birds.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I don't use my KF for texting, but I've seen the app, Text+, in the App Store. It's compatible with the Fire and it says that you "Receive a quick reply pop-up outside of the app every time you have a message. "
Sounds like what you're looking for.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
Sounds like what you're looking for.
Indeed...must go check it out, thx!

Edit: The first review on the app page says:
"this app works great on the kindle fire. [....] One downside is regarding the lack of notification when a text comes in."

So it looks like that alert feature may not work on the Fire. I'll try anyway, but keep the suggestions coming.

BTW, I don't need SMS specifically.
Any kind of IM or even an email notifier would do.

Last edited by ApK; 04-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Would something like ebuddy work for you?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
ApK

eBuddy is halfway there for me. I'll also have to compare it to Trillian, which I used for several years on the PC.
What I really want I suspect will require some system level custom development. I want something that intrudes more aggressively under more circumstances, sort of like the low-battery popup does.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's what I thought you were looking for (more obtrusive notifications). I'm not sure of any that are THAT aggressive. I don't think that Trillian does that, though I haven't used it in a while (I use it on my PC all the time, but I wasn't fond of the Android offering). Good luck, though. Hope you find something that does what you need it to.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's what I thought you were looking for (more obtrusive notifications). I'm not sure of any that are THAT aggressive. I don't think that Trillian does that, though I haven't used it in a while (I use it on my PC all the time, but I wasn't fond of the Android offering). Good luck, though. Hope you find something that does what you need it to.
Yeah, I suspect Trillian will be just like eBuddy, and either will be the best I can get off the shelf.

Hey, maybe this will prompt me to do some Android development.
(Though I also suspect what I want to do will require root access, and I'm not that interested in rooting my Fire yet.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

ApK