Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Nook app dictionary - a question

I'm liking the Nook ipad app's easy implementation of highlight dragging and ease of use in general. However, touching a word usually gives me no results (dictionary grayed-out) or a ridiculous definition ("ironic" dictionary search rendered up "iron," which would, were I not familiar with the term at all, lead me to believe "ironic" meant constructed of iron. That's usually not the case.

I therefore am asking if there is a dictionary as good as the one in the kindle app that can somehow be downloaded/bought and installed as the default, in-app dictionary in place of the current or am I stuck? Any help/suggestions are welcomed.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A really good question! I ended up here looking for an answer to the same question. The previous Barnes & Noble app, B & N eReader, had provisions for adding dictionaries.

I share your exact reaction.

In fact, it's a barrier in my buying ebooks. I want fast access to a dictionary, an unabridged modern one and the 1913 Webster's. Stanza gives the later if you're on line, but not off. Its word look up, annotation interface is the pits, though.

Kindle's included the New Oxford American Dictionary-- one of the best around (ships with all Macs, you have to download it to the i-devices). But you cannot copy and save word definitions!

Or, copy and save or send annotations.

It seems that they dropped book buying from the B&N eReader or that would be my preferred choice.

I would recommend switching to Stanza.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Yeah - since I posted that, I decided to just jump to Kindle, open the dictionary and do a search.

Sadly there is not a single app that does everything I like, but this jumping seems do-able for me as a work around. Switching to stanza would just add yet another app to my "Library" group. As it is now, I need a spreadsheet to track down what e-book copy of what book I have in which app - Nook. Kindle, Kobo or ibooks. PDFs go to Goodreader now.

As for annotations, I'm not sure how to save them. I accidentally removed a book from Kobo and needed to re-download it. All my notes had vanished! Makes me long for real books. (I do still buy and read "dead tree" books.)
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad nook dictionary