Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Plucker ported to 800x480 Nokia 770

Nobody really has the device yet, but someone managed to write a port of Plucker for the Maemo user interface - which is used by the forthcoming Nokia 770. This development could make the Linux Nokia with its gorgeous 800x480 screen and low $350 list price a perfect e-book reading device! David from Teleread is also excited: Check out the screenshot showing the start of Alice in Wonderland. Cool. The 770 won't be out until Q3, alas. I can hardly wait.

In case you don't know what Plucker is, make sure to check out this link.

[via ebook-community-list]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
I want a Nokia 770! Plucker happens to be my most used application on my Palm, so with the gorgeous 800x480, I finally get to pluck regular web pages, no need for Mobile version, no need for scrolling like crazy to get past all those frames. Wonder if the Sunrise PC companion will be optimized for Maemo's Plucker...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you use full resolution and the regular web pages, I'm thinking you had better get some magnifying lenses for the glasses you'll be wearing soon!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
If you use full resolution and the regular web pages, I'm thinking you had better get some magnifying lenses for the glasses you'll be wearing soon!

I discovered yesterday that the Nokia 770 screen resolution is 225 dpi. BTW, the Plucker screenshot shows all the navigation bars and such, but the actual implementation, I'm told, includes a full-screen mode. (When I can get a screen capture of that, I'll point people to it.) I should think fonts will be very smooth and easier to read on screens with less than half that resolution (eg, with less than a quarter the number of pixels.) And graphics ought to be extraordinary on it too.

And don't forget that 800 pixels wide will handle a lot of web pages.
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Nobody really has the device yet, but someone managed to write a port of Plucker for the Maemo user interface - which is used by the forthcoming Nokia 770. This development could make the Linux Nokia with its gorgeous 800x480 screen and low $350 list price a perfect e-book reading device!
Some of the developers have been working with Nokia for two years on porting apps and tools to this device. And there is an emulator that lets you build and run your app (or, in the case of a lot of Linux apps, port your app) directly in Linux. See maemo.org.

--

The combination of a page-size screen, really high resolution, and full-service e-book software on an 8-ounce device with wireless (email, IM, Opera), with Linux underneath and python available for custom apps -- it's the way I want to put together my handheld, instead of one designed for a businessman on the go. And I left out the Flash Player and PDF viewer (and SVG-tiny, MPEG1, MPEG4, AVI and Real Video formats).

When I think of it as an e-book reader, then all these other things are super extras. At this size and price, it can't be all things to all people and the complaints of its limitations make sense when you want it to be a machine for someone with a different perspective. But from my perspective . . . wow! (especially given the alternatives)
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
I think that if you bump up the font size, then reading on a 800 pixel wide screen wouldn't be that bad, the image stays small, so the whole webpage will displays as is. It will be longer, but not much harder to read than current PDAs. On my current PC, I use a 1024x 768 resolution on my small 15" monitor, the fonts looks small at first, so I bump up the font size and everything's fine now. I think that would not be hard to do on a Linux, though we really know little about how the Maemo interface works at the moment.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote