Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #661
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Seems there now is an English version available through Worldox.com
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #662
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloraday View Post
I do not really see how a 9.7" device could be an alternative to a 13.3" one. They are incommensurable.
The fact that the smaller Onyx runs open Android rather than the horribly hobbled Sony software (pdf only! Gasp!) rather closes the gap and makes them less incommensurababble. Android offers a huge range of apps that allow the user to better utilize hardware.

In any case, as I said, Onyx plans either an 11" or 13.3" device in the same product range. I believe they plan to release a version using the actual Mobius-type screen with a plastic substrate, and also one with a glass substrate. The latter will be heavier, but presumably cheaper.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-09-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #663
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The fact that the smaller Onyx runs open Android rather than the horribly hobbled Sony software (pdf only! Gasp!) rather closes the gap and makes them less incommensurababble. Android offers a huge range of apps that allow the user to better utilize hardware.

In any case, as I said, Onyx plans either an 11" or 13.3" device in the same product range. I believe they plan to release a version using the actual Mobius-type screen with a plastic substrate, and also one with a glass substrate. The latter will be heavier, but presumably cheaper.
Sony's device is very different than any other e-ink product that was previously produced. It has twice the screen area of a 9.7 inch reader. It also has a plastic substrate which few or no other devices have.

I personally have been waiting for years for an e-ink device that is large enough to comfortably read music from. The Sony is the first such device to the market.

Other devices may be released in the future. However, such things have been said for years. Sony actually produced the product and it is for sale. Its software may not be ideal, but it is functional. There are scores of other e-ink devices with software that is full of bugs.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #664
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not until the product is released outside Japan, I suspect.
There seem to be an ebay offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171324485738
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #665
coloraday
coloraday began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Glad the device has surfaced on Amazon and eBay. The price seems to have shot up by ~20% though. :S
coloraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #666
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
The price just keeps raising... First 98000JPY (=964USD), then 1100USD, now 1350-1700USD.
I will wait until September/October to buy some device (the beginning of another academic year), but Sony is making it very easy for me to choose the competition (for my sadness, though). What I really appreciate on DPT-S1, besides all the great features/advantages of e-paper display, is the fast, hight quality stylus input, the screen size and the weight. That's something I doubt onyx or pocketbook will make at a lower price.

Last edited by FantoM; 05-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #667
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Glad the device has surfaced on Amazon and eBay. The price seems to have shot up by ~20% though. :S
I'm wondering why somebody should need this cloud service anyway?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #668
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Pretty standard for eBay resells when there is short supply. Once the supply is available eBay will drop their prices or quit altogether.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #669
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Anyone actually got their hands on one of these yet? I'd love to know if you can use it with an external keyboard and some sort of small word processor
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #670
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
Its software may not be ideal, but it is functional. There are scores of other e-ink devices with software that is full of bugs.
Yes, it's functional (and I never suggested it's buggy), but so much more could be done with this hardware with better software. It was same with the 6" e-readers. The Sony UI was solid and functional, but sadly lacking in advanced features. PRS+ made the UI what it should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Anyone actually got their hands on one of these yet? I'd love to know if you can use it with an external keyboard and some sort of small word processor
I don't think so. I doubt the device will be hacked because it is so expensive and there are so few of the devices out there. I think it is targeted at and purchased by a very small market who have very specific needs (i.e. an e-ink pdf reader). Sony could sell a lot more of these devices if they made the software more flexible (i.e. open Android).

Last edited by Rizla; 05-10-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #671
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
There seem to be an ebay offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171324485738
Went for $1376!

And here it is $1430! These things are like gold!

SONY DPT-S1 13.3" Digital Paper Japan Model New
Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #672
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Judging by the prices I think we'll be waiting a while (for mortals to buy one) :\

That said, I do believe at some point moderately soon someone will manage to successfully modify the unit.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #673
xhacker
xhacker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Hi, I am lucky enough to have one of these (the US version). I am very impressed with it. Great for proof reading as the annotation functions are excellent. I have been reading for 7 hours in the sun. Try doing that on an iPad. I was also able write out a few pages of maths without problem too. There are a few things i would add on my wish list for a software update such as adding the option to maintain the page controls, orientation and zoom for individual documents. However this is minor for me as usually only read A4 formatted journal articles anyway so it's fine. I have opened a few books and they display nicely but I would also like to see the option of a 2 page display (currently only 1,4 or 9). The browser is pretty good too, slow as they always seem to be on readers (why is that exactly? I think it must be CPU limited rather than bandwidth limited - it's hard to benchmark the CPU but it can handle complex pdf documents well even with large figures) anyway it works well on mobile sites, I have bookmarked the mobile dropbox site and it logs in automatically no problem allowing pdf download (only) from there quite rapidly. I have not used the network drive sync function yet but will do when i get some time and will probably install dropbox on a network drive so i can get automatic syncing with dropbox. e.g. using this approach might work (https://gist.github.com/pavank/2961448).

So brief summary, the interface is nice, you really can read and write for hours without eye strain. The pdf search is really nice as it's like you have searched and printed with the search highlighting which makes it very easy to find things. The handwriting is great but I don't own a tablet so can't compare, but I'm impressed, it's certainly good enough for me. It feels about the same weight as my iPhone! It really is a pleasure to use (for me) as I have to read and write a lot of technical documents. I'm not sure what else to say, but I'll check back in and do my best to answer any questions.
xhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #674
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

xhacker, many thanks for responding in this thread, finally, someone to talk to who has one

Is there a facility to bind it to a bluetooth keyboard, or external keyboard at all? ie, to turn it in to a portable little word processor?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #675
xhacker
xhacker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, there is no bluetooth on this device. There is a micro USB socket and wifi, but I don't know how you would connect an external keyboard (you would have to hack it but even then). That said the on screen keyboard is pretty good, certainly good enough for my needs, eg annotation etc. I have found myself usually just hand writing on this as it's faster and more natural. Writing a large amount of text with an external keyboard might be nice actually, as the response time is pretty good on this, interesting idea.

Last edited by xhacker; 05-12-2014 at 12:21 AM.
xhacker is offline   Reply With Quote