Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
the9th
the9th began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Problem and a Question of Cases

I'm new here, this is my first post, so I'm just gonna jump right in with my experience.

The Problem:

I bought a Kobo Glo from Indigo/Chapters on February 27, 2013. Today, it had verticle lines of e-ink going down he screen. No matter how much I restarted, factory and regular, it stayed the same. I was extremely depressed after reading some accounts of how if it was a physical issue like a broken screen, the warranty was void. I'm a university student and I'm in the middle of writing a thesis, so I had moved all my books onto my Kobo as I do much of my reading on the go.

I called up Kobo and after a Kafkaesque experience going through their customer care phone system (complete with cryptic beeps and disconnections half-way through conversations, insufferable small-talk about the weather, and faulty email experiences), I finally gave up. They asked for a photo of the front and back of the device along with proof of purchase, etc etc. So I sent all of that, but then suddenly in a bout of anger I decided to walk down to Indigo and try my luck with an actual human being instead of a faceless, anonymous extension of a company- given there's not much of a difference most of the time. Ironically, this all happened the day after syncing Marx's Das Kapital.

So I walked into the store, and the woman at the front c/wouldn't do anything about it ("It's been over 14 days, I really can't do anything about it.") so I asked to see the manager- yes I was being that customer, but I was pretty peeved at this point and was not going to take no for an answer. Luckily the guy who came to help me was young and I managed to flirt with him a little and he replaced the device for me. Took a total of 5 minutes. I now have a new Kobo Glo and I am NOT about to go through this whole ordeal again. I am being extra careful.

I was lucky, but I might not be next time.

A Question of Cases:

I was using a soft pouch this entire time and I realize now that it is not enough. I need a hard case that goes around the entire device. While this is bulky, I realize its probably the only way to be extra careful about the device being bent or sat on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are not many cases out there for the Glo, especially hard ones.
the9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Maybe something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BookArmor-Sh...61131429549%26

Good luck.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I had a similar bad screen problem after reader was in soft Kobo brand pouch. I now have my Kobo wifi in this Bilken cover with really stiff 22 gage steel sheet with taped edges placed in cover's secure inner pocket. Yes the steel adds weight and lots of protection. Magnetic tab closure now folds over attracted to steel in secure inner pocket of cover as hold open tab. The steel was left over standing seam roofing material.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8N717-Belkin/p/P-F8N717

After that I spent day riding roller coaster with reader in front jeans pocket and other risky situations for my Kobo with no problems.

This is same steel I used with the silicone rubber cover in this thread, but Belkin cover provides easier access to reader.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=182162&page=2
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
TicklishOwl
TicklishOwl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
Smile

I purchased this BookArmor case for my Kobo Touch, but also use it for my Kobo Glo. This one is actually for the Sony PRS505/700, but I wanted something roomy so I could keep a book light (which I no longer need) and microfiber cleaning cloth in it too. The case has about 1 cm of space around each side of the Glo. If I didn't keep a cleaning cloth in the case the Kobo might slide around a little bit, though.

The case is very sturdy, with a rigid plastic shell inside the cloth cover. I've been using it for over 2 years, throwing it in my messenger bag with all sorts of heavy things. It really protects! As a bonus, I don't have a bulky case on my Glo when it's time to read.

BookArmor makes a case specifically for the Kobo Glo. It has added brackets to keep the Glo from sliding around. It's on sale right now too. (ETA: Whoops, TechniSol beat me to it!)

I wish Speck made a FitFolio case for the Kobo Glo. I have one on my Touch and love it. But, even with the FitFolio, if it's in my messenger bag, it's secured in the BookArmor to ensure the screen is really protected.

Last edited by TicklishOwl; 05-04-2013 at 01:06 AM.
TicklishOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I ordered this Gecko Slimfit cover, but it hasn't arrived yet. I only use my Kobo at home for now and never take it out until I get a cover on it.

Gecko also makes this cover that's a bit cheaper, but I don't like the top layer over the reader, I went for the thinner choice.

Edit: Both of these are sleep covers btw.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-04-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I am using a Rocketfish cover for my Glo:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr.../RF-ER100.html
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I really like the Glo sleep cover. I have the bright pink one. I fold it back when I am reading, with the elastic holding it in place.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
I am using Navitech Bycast covers for my Glo & Mini.

Below is the link to the one for the Glo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech-Byc...d_sim_sbs_ce_5

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
All I can say is he sounds like a keeper.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
I really like the Gecko Slim-Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I ordered this Gecko Slimfit cover, but it hasn't arrived yet. I only use my Kobo at home for now and never take it out until I get a cover on it.

Edit: Both of these are sleep covers btw.
I have this cover for my Glo and it's really well made, it fits beautifully and the front cover is very solid. This is the first case I've had for any reader which stays on whilst I read, it's that unobtrusive. With the case shut I think it would be very difficult to damage the screen. It also has the magnets in the right places for auto switching on/off your reader when opening and closing the cover.

To add a little context, I own (well my wife does now) a kindle 3 (keyboard version) with an Amazon brand cover which was/is probably slightly more sturdy but it's too heavy and awkward and was always removed as soon as I began reading; the same can also be said for the Sony PRS600 own brand cover. I checked out the Kobo branded cover and decided against it as it seemed very much like the Kindle version, but slightly less well made.

I've only had the Gecko cover for a few months now, but I've had my glo since last October. Prior to that, I bought a black zipped hard pouch designed for a Kindle 4 non-touch which fit perfectly, but after a while I just got annoyed with having to zip/unzip the case in the dark after reading late into the night. I also don't like the feel of the rubberised coating on the Kobo Glo. The Gecko cover solved both problems perfectly. I'm glad I took a chance on the Gecko Slim Fit and I'm certain that if/when I upgrade to my next reader, I'll be looking for a Gecko cover like the one I have on my Glo.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Greg
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I really like the Glo sleep cover. I have the bright pink one. I fold it back when I am reading, with the elastic holding it in place.
I have the black version of the Glo sleep cover and it works a treat for me. Admittedly I don't cart my Glo all around the place, it mostly just sits on my coffee table when I'm not using it, but it has gone on a couple of flights with me too.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
My Glo is in a Neoskin kindle case that rwhe recommended in the 'How to make a sleep cover' sticky thread.

I admit that I bought this particular case because I liked the owl design but I have been nicely surprised by how protected it keeps my Glo.

The case is a zip- around, which means the sides are protected and the noprane material protects from bumps. The part that goes on the screen is toughened-- it's harder than the part that covers the back, so it gives more protection from head on knocks. More comments on its toughness in the reviews on the linked Amazon page.

Now I'm not saying it would protect if I were to whack the screen -- I'm not about to try. But It's kept my Glo spotless so far. I am much more confident with it than with my old official kindle3 cover, and I like carrying my Glo with me in a way I couldn't with my Kindle.

It regularly travels most places with me in my handbag, and hasn't fallen afoul of hairspray cans, packets of mints, hairbrushes, keys or phone. It's been all round Wales and up snowdonia in my handbag, regularly survives a two hour train journey being bumped by passengers, bumped into tight spaces. Every day knocks seem no problem.

It even got rolled on once by my boyfriend with no ill effects (have never forgotten to replace it on the bedside table since).
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
I've been using leather cases from Noreve for both my Glo and Touch.

The Glo version supports Kobo's "sleep cover" feature, adds very little bulk and is finished to a very high standard with a wide selection of colours and finishes to choose from.

Custom colour/leather ones are made to order so it takes a little time to arrive but worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030285-ret.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	105399  

Last edited by kumaryu; 05-05-2013 at 07:46 AM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
The noreve case looks lovely, but the price is outrageous!

I use this gecko cover, it is tough and pretty inflexible, and, while not cheap, just about affordable. My only gripe is that it is a bit thick at 24mm.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
The noreve case looks lovely, but the price is outrageous!
I bought my Touch at a significant discount. The case cost more than the Touch. When I got my Glo, I ordered the case before I ordered the device. Yes, totally outrageous, but nice. The reason I've not ordered the new Aura yet is because I've not found a case I like for it....

Last edited by kumaryu; 05-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cases, communism, kobo glo, problem of evil, screen issues