Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Possible cause of PE stuck in hibernation problem

I again got my PE stuck in hibernation today. But this time I know what I did! I haven't replicated this because I'm not screwing around with that until I have the new PEs I ordered last week. The book was closed in hibernate, I always hibernate just by closing. When I opened it, I forgot it was in hibernation, and slid the power switch. And I *may* have held it a few seconds, but that I'm not sure on. I paperclipped it and then slide the power again to get it back again. I suspect I turned it off while hibernating and that leads the eink screen to stay with the hibernation screen on and leave me thinking it was "stuck". It's entirely possible (even probable!) I did the same thing last time. I know a couple other people had the problem with the PE and tons with the EE, and while I'm sure that all the EE users aren't doing this, it may be a hint to what could be going on?
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Kewlcat
Kewlcat began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge since May '11 (upgraded to Ermine - Aug '11)
Hi,
Thanks for posting this...I came across this same problem & I think I may have done the same thing (i.e. powering off while trying to get out of hibernate- I just updated to ermine yesterday, so ermine & hibernate is completely new to me)...but the thing that told me it was still "on" was the fact that the green LED was in solid 'ON'...I couldnt get it to shut down or 'recover from hibernate'...so left it open overnight...

In the morning, the led was blinking in RED i.e. critical battery (something I had never seen before)...so I let it blink for a couple of hours...by this time the ereader side had gone completely blank/white (i.e the 'edge is in hibernate' message had gone) so I figured it must be completely off now & plugged the charger in...the led started the slow green blink...held my breath & powered on & it worked!!

Just putting it out there for anyone who might experience similar issues...
Will keep an eye out for recurrence of this issue (hopefully not) & update here accordingly...
Kewlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Eyore
Eyore began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I think that this is the problem that I am having too. The Android screen is off and won't come on. The power switch and reset buttons just turn the LED on and off. The eInk side is showing a page but it won't respond to using the stylus or any buttons.

It's going to take a long time for that little LED to drain the whole battery so that I get a true reset. Is that the only way to get it working again? I've only had it a month and I'm a little afraid to open it up and try to disconnect the battery. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Eyore, you might try the put-it-in-the freezer trick. I've never done it myself, but I hear (from Sarah, thank you!) that cooling the battery can unjam it. Probably don't want to leave it in too long, though!

Welcome to MobileRead! I hope your next post is more cheerful (despite your awesome name! )
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Kewlcat
Kewlcat began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge since May '11 (upgraded to Ermine - Aug '11)
Wow had no idea about the freezer trick!!

Eyore...have you resolved ur problem? I just left mine OPEN overnight...& by the next morning it was blinking in red... so hopefully that should work for you too...

I think what the OP mentioned might be the issue...i.e. it is turning on & off, but the screens are somehow stuck in their respective modes...

FWIW the manual mentions to NOT turn the edge off while it is in the "suspend mode" (which was the closest thing to hibernate in dingo)
Kewlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlcat View Post
Wow had no idea about the freezer trick!!

Eyore...have you resolved ur problem? I just left mine OPEN overnight...& by the next morning it was blinking in red... so hopefully that should work for you too...

I think what the OP mentioned might be the issue...i.e. it is turning on & off, but the screens are somehow stuck in their respective modes...

FWIW the manual mentions to NOT turn the edge off while it is in the "suspend mode" (which was the closest thing to hibernate in dingo)
this happened to me this morning. eink said I was in hibernate and I got the red blinking. pe would not come out of hibernate because it was really off.

When we close the cover and the PE doesn't really go into hibernation mode and runs down the battery, it shuts it down, but the e-ink side does not update.

I think I know when the PE really goes into hibernation mode. If I close the cover and I hear a click seconds later, then I'm pretty sure I'm in hibernation mode.

If I have an app that's running, it may not go into hibernation mode, but standby mode.
At least that's what I think ...
Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-15-2011 at 02:02 PM.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Eyore
Eyore began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Looks like it's really a hardware problem.

It's been more than a week and the light just stays green. I was thinking I'd have to open the case and disconnect the battery and then if that did not work I'd be out of luck. Since I only had the device a few weeks I wrote to the supplier and they agreed to exchange it for a working one. Boy am I glad I wrote to them first! I guess I'm going to have to learn to look on the bright side.

Eyore
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
SorrowLupe
SorrowLupe began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Entourage eDGe
Talking

Well, I just pressed the reset button on mine when it did this- and freezing? Really??
SorrowLupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Glad you solved your own problem, SorrowLupe!

Welcome to MobileRead and the eDGe forum -- enjoy!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote