Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So is this new Kobo worth buying?

I am a previously contented Sony 650 owner. It's a great device and I thought the best of the bunch until I heard about this new Kobo. Sony's reader is great but it's lack of wifi, syncing across different apps is starting to hurt it. I like the fact that the kobo can do these things as well as have stuff like stats and achievements (I had no idea!) and sharing. Of course the price doesn't hurt either. I think I paid about $290 tax included for my Sony 650 and cover last Christmas-ouch!
I just downloaded the kobo app for the iphone and had a lot of fun with it although it seemed a little sluggish and the only way to get other non-kobo stuff onto it seems to be through i-tunes which is a non-starter for me. How will content be accessed with the actual reader itself. Will I be able to upload non-kobo content (books, instapaper, calibre recipes) wirelessly and simply? Or will I still have to connect to calibre directly to get that kind of stuff?

How about the hardware itself? Is Kobo ereader (the previous version) fairly reliable?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
You will almost certainly need to use a desktop application like Calibre or ADE to load non-Kobo content.

My reader has crashed hard in somewhat limited use. I don't trust it to operate if I do anything more than reading... Even changing font sizes is fraught with peril.

For someone who already has a good ereader, I don't see the point in upgrading, but if your current platform is lacking, Kobo is a fine choice.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
The hardware is good for me. I have yet to have any problems with my kobo. I use Calibre to load and manage all my books. I have the kobo app for my 4g ipod touch and it doesn't seem sluggish for me.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
@Canuck_In_Japan - I've started using Dropbox for my iPad and iPhone Kobo apps. Copy the file to a dropbox folder, open dropbox on your iDevice, navigate to the required file, and open it. Dropbox will be unable to but use the "open" icon (box with arrow sticking out) and "Open in Kobo". You can then delete them using the Kobo app. SO MUCH BETTER than iTunes.

Not that this will work on the KTouch.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
You will almost certainly need to use a desktop application like Calibre or ADE to load non-Kobo content.
I don't mind using Calibre. I'm hoping to not have to connect my device physically though. When I was using my iTouch and Stanza I was able to wirelessly send files to my itouch. I hope Kobo can do the same.

I will try the dropbox trick,
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I have an original Kobo and have never had a problem with the hardware, firmware upgrades or adding books. I use Calibre to sideload epubs and to convert PDFs and other formats to epub.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

My reader has crashed hard in somewhat limited use. I don't trust it to operate if I do anything more than reading... Even changing font sizes is fraught with peril.

For someone who already has a good ereader, I don't see the point in upgrading, but if your current platform is lacking, Kobo is a fine choice.
This is what I've been saying all along. Why upgrade/change now if you have a working reader? Sure, we know about the hardware and some of the features and they sound very nice. But what we do not know about is the actual system software. The old Kobo models have bugs that have never been fixed. Does the new Kobo have bugs? Does the new nook have bugs? No idea. Let others be the beta testers and report in before deciding to do anything. Also, when buying a reader, take it as it is. Do not buy one thinking this or that problem will be fixed. Bugs/problems may never be fixed. So if there is a problem or a bug you cannot live with, don't buy until such time as the issue(s) has been fixed.

I mean, if you have a read you can use no problem, wait. What problems will the new nook & Kobo have? Will there be a touch/sans-physical keyboard Kindle with ePub? What will Sony do? These are questions we have no answer to and if you have a good enough reader, wait.

By the time Sony (they've released new devices in October) should announce a new line of Readers, we'll know about bugs/fixes/etc. for the new nook & Kobo. Also, we may know what's up with the Kindle by then too maybe. Not really sure when that will be, but if you can wait 4-7 months, then you'll know a lot more and can actually make a well informed decision instead of rushing and maybe wishing you didn't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
magnus117
magnus117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
In My case, I'll wait and see how it goes. One thing that I noticed is how the new Kobo lags. Kobo reps have said that it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade. That's fine with me but I'll still wait. I also heard that the new Kobo has certain audio features (unlike the nook touch). I sure hope thats the case. I'm hoping for some kind of browser or at least a rss solution. All in all, I like the KTouch and I'm very impressed with new PDF support which is not the case for the Nook Touch. Whats the point of a battery lasting 2 months if it cant go landscape or support pdf decently??
magnus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The old Kobo models have bugs that have never been fixed. Does the new Kobo have bugs? Does the new nook have bugs?
No software carved in rock. Even openvms happens to fail in a decade or more.

Quote:
Let others be the beta testers and report in before deciding to do anything.
Call it "user who likes to have new features".

Quote:
So if there is a problem or a bug you cannot live with, don't buy until such time as the issue(s) has been fixed.
In a time when people use internet, there is no place to hide those features. At
least, this forum will notify you. It is not a small fortune. Even I would get new
reader somewhere at the end of the year, spite I'm fully happy with my first ver-
sion device.

Quote:
What problems will the new nook & Kobo have? Will there be a touch/sans-physical keyboard Kindle with ePub? What will Sony do? These are questions we have no answer to and if you have a good enough reader, wait.
Wrong. That way you will wait whole life. There will always be better reader
next year/century.

Quote:
By the time Sony (they've released new devices in October) should announce a new line of Readers, we'll know about bugs/fixes/etc. for the new nook & Kobo.
Reflashing should be easier, if kobo finds wifi good enough to upgrade such a
way. I reflash almost every electronic device, including music player, router...
My only concern is how long new device would process loaded files, since I have
them a lot now.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
How will content be accessed with the actual reader itself. Will I be able to upload non-kobo content (books, instapaper, calibre recipes) wirelessly and simply? Or will I still have to connect to calibre directly to get that kind of stuff?
AFAIK the current model cannot receive files wirelessly, unless maybe you hack it to enable FTP access. For USB transfers, besides Calibre, you can also just drag-and-drop files in Windows Explorer.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
@Canuck_In_Japan - I've started using Dropbox for my iPad and iPhone Kobo apps. Copy the file to a dropbox folder, open dropbox on your iDevice, navigate to the required file, and open it. Dropbox will be unable to but use the "open" icon (box with arrow sticking out) and "Open in Kobo". You can then delete them using the Kobo app. SO MUCH BETTER than iTunes.

Not that this will work on the KTouch.
What a great tip!

Thanks.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
gyuen
gyuen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e505
Quote:
I hope that will change. I'm not sure what would be ideal for reading ePubs on on my desktop and reader with syncing of books, place, highlighting, and last page read. Kobo could do with an upgrade to their Desktop software. The new reader looks nice but perhaps Nook might have a better chance of doing that or getting towards it sooner.

Ah yes I've looked at Nook for Mac and it seems to have potential.

Last edited by gyuen; 05-28-2011 at 06:52 AM.
gyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Quote:
"What problems will the new nook & Kobo have? Will there be a touch/sans-physical keyboard Kindle with ePub? What will Sony do? These are questions we have no answer to and if you have a good enough reader, wait."

Wrong. That way you will wait whole life. There will always be better reader
next year/century.
While I agree with most of your post Zoran, I don't necessarily agree with this; I'm usually an early adopter whether it be hardware or software, and more often than not, I get burned, because the developer/manufacture rushed to market, or didn't test sufficiently. I fully accept getting burned because despite experience, I usually buy first production runs, although I've tried to stop this practice because I just don't have as much disposable income as I used to.

It makes much more sense for people to wait for a reviews, or even reviews of second revisions/first firmware updates that usually fixes many of the problems that fell through the cracks with the first production runs. It also makes sense to be fully informed about a purchase and your options prior to purchasing, and unfortunately, information like what we're currently seeing for the new Kobo is nothing but marketing hype. you can't assume that they've fixed all the problems from previous versions because you know what they say about when you assume, right?

But you're not entirely wrong though, at least when it comes to features. yes, if you keep waiting for particular features as they are announced, ie - kobo announces touch screen for June...just before release, kindle announces the same, but with a virtual keyboard for september, so you decide to wait for that, and again just before release, Sony announces all the above but adds yet another wanted feature, but for release another 3 months down the line and again you decide to wait for that...you're absolutely right, you'll never make a purchase as you wait for the next best thing, or you'll be like I used to be and have a lot of similar devices piling up that you're not using anymore

and his last point is dead on; if you have a device that's doing the job already and doing it well enough, you can afford to wait longer to make sure you're not purchasing a lemon.

Last edited by Psyke; 05-28-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote