Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
How is 1.2 update affecting dual boots?

Is anyone running a dual boot of the B&N stock OS alongside another ROM on the internal memory of your NC? If so, have you updated to 1.2 yet, and were there any problems or oddities in doing so?

I'd like to avoid the update woes associated with rooting, but keep access to the stock OS for magazines and children's books, so my plan is maybe a 1 or 2GB stock partition and PhireMod CM7 as my main OS. Do B&N's instructions apply for updating a partitioned 1.1 install, or did you have to go through ROM Manager, or what?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I have been running a cm7 / stock dualboot, with cm7 on the primary partition, so that it is easy to update cm7 as they improve it.

if you don't have a dual boot setup yet, it won't be very difficult. here are the basic steps:
1 - update NC to 1.2
2 - boot into clockwork recovery (probably from SD card if you don't root your B&N 1.2)
3 - from clockwork:
1 - run the dualboot prep.zip
2 - run the move eclair(stock) to dual boot.zip
3 - run install cm7 zip (regular cm7 install rom)
4 - run gapps install zip (you may want to do this after you boot into cm7 once to setup wifi).

pretty simple. the most difficult part is probably creating the CWR sd card to boot from.

for more detailed instructions, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=24

The big difference from that post is that you are going to create a sd card to boot from to get into CWR instead of rooting and then installing it to the NC.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jasoraso, that will be helpful in setting up my system. I already have 1.2, but no SD card yet.

What I'm wondering is whether you had to jump through any hoops to update your stock partition this time, so that I know what I'm in for with future updates. Would sideloading the .zip from B&N's website to the root of the stock partition do it, would I apply the update via CWM using B&N's .zip, or would I have to wait for developers to produce a CWM-compatible version? Would there be any danger of a future update overwriting my dual boot?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
The answers to your questions depend on which partition(s) you run B&N1.2 from, and which partition you run cm7 from.

I have cm7 on the primary partition. When the NC boots w/o any user interaction, it boots into cm7, although I rarely power up the NC because I just keep it booted/suspended on cm7. I only boot into b&n (holding down the N button while powering up the NC) when my 4 yr old want me to read some of the Nook books to her or if I go to a B&N store and wanted the instore access (although that doesnt' work with my rooted 1.2 version - I might try and "unroot" it).

If/when b&n updates their software again, you will need to wait for a cwm version, and actually you would need to wait for a dual boot version. But the updated won't install automatically. I guess if you were booted into B&N on the 2nd partition, and it tried to download and install the update, it might crash the NC because it would try and install to the 1st partition, which under cm7 looks dramatically different.

BUT, the benefits of having cm7 on the primary partition for me is that it gets updated MUCH more frequently, I don't have to wait for a dual boot version, I can just flash it. Same with cm7 kernels etc. Since I use cm7 99% of the time, I chose to have it on the primary partition.

When a future b&n upgrade comes out, I will just make sure that I'm booted into cm7 until there is a compatible dual boot. Or I can do a manual update w/o needed to wait for compatible dual boot by following these steps:
1 - from cwr, do a nandroid backup - this will backup my primary partition which is cm7.
2 - revert the NC to stock using the stock flashing methods.
3 - update the stock system using B&N update
4 - jump through the steps to create dual boot and move the b&n updated version to the 2nd partition
5 - restore my nandroid cm7 ...

The one downside to this is that I lose any customizations on the stock version - but that isn't a concern for me. In fact I think I might do these steps to try and have "stock" b&n 1.2 on my second partition (rather than rooted) so that I have "in store" access again.

good luck!
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Heh, yeah, those are some hoops, but I don't anticipate using the stock OS for much of anything, either--mostly I'm interested in keeping it for curiosity's sake. I don't have kids, and while magazines are appealing, the actual titles they carry are not, and I'm sure there will be better magazine apps on the Android market soon enough. I may just save myself some trouble and go straight PhireMod CM7.
Advert